Blocking them darn icons

A while back, my memory being very fuzzy, there was something that blocked the icons (and potential links???) to the likes of fb, twitter, g+ etc.

Well, it seems to no longer be working 'cos I'm finding them back, everywhere.

I don't know how effective it was in the great scheme of things but I'm really hacked off with the whole ruddy lot of all these nasty spyware, privacy intruding, unlawful, unregulated, out of control gits!

Anyone got any ideas that doesn't involve being a super-tech nerd?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Blocking them darn icons

Hi, aerne.

I use Ublock Origin (my ancient machines grind to a halt with AdBlock Plus). The social media thingies seem to have become harder to eradicate since the "new" Firefox came out, but I even have problems on Firefox 52 ESR.

The answer seems to be twofold:

- use a suitable "filter" in Ublock Origin's settings (Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking list, although I've also read of people using Fanboy's Social Blocking List - I suspect that is available in AdBlock Plus, if that is what you prefer);

- use Element Hiding Helper (AdBlock Plus) or "Element Picker Mode (Ublock Origin) to terminate stubborn remnants with Extreme Prejudice.

I'm sure it used to be possible to block them all with one setting, but it does seem that the second method is increasingly necessary.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Blocking them darn icons

Hi, aerne.

I use Ublock Origin (my ancient machines grind to a halt with AdBlock Plus). The social media thingies seem to have become harder to eradicate since the "new" Firefox came out, but I even have problems on Firefox 52 ESR.

The answer seems to be twofold:

- use a suitable "filter" in Ublock Origin's settings (Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking list, although I've also read of people using Fanboy's Social Blocking List - I suspect that is available in AdBlock Plus, if that is what you prefer);

- use Element Hiding Helper (AdBlock Plus) or "Element Picker Mode (Ublock Origin) to terminate stubborn remnants with Extreme Prejudice.

I'm sure it used to be possible to block them all with one setting, but it does seem that the second method is increasingly necessary.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Blocking them darn icons

Thank you, OE.

The Fanboy's thingee rings a bell but it does seem to be something odd is happening because they've gorn and disappeared again.

I'll have to look into this, not in the least because it appears that even further strident action may be necessary on learning that faceache actually track everything we do after we visit any site with their wretched bleeping icons.

theregister.co.uk/facebook_admits_to_tracking_non_users/

I keep thinking I need to just throw the whole lot out of the metaphorical window and go back to pen and paper and the odd carrier pigeon.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent