Ad-blocker on?

When accessing some newspaper sites they often come up with something like "Oh no, you got your ad-blocker on,,,,etc etc." and you can't read what's on the page.

However, you can read it IF..... you go to google and write the headline (for that news item) in to search, when it shows up there's often "cached" at the end with a little down arrow. Click that and you can read the page OK.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Ad-blocker on?

Laie_21.gifok

Petal
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Ad-blocker on?

I usually (depending on the newspaper) turn the adblocker off when I get that message, cos I can't imagine how they sustain their online versions without revenue.

Good tip, tho, cee-dee 🙂

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Ad-blocker on?

Thing is, unless people actually use any of the advertisers, there's no revenue except for the publication?

Having that message is like having a similar one in the print version. "Unless you read all the adverts first, the print won't appear"?

If people were brutally frank, how many would say they actually read the adverts anyway?

Today, the adverts are not "welcoming", "interesting" or "encouraging". Many use inappropriate colours and text and don't really get a message over. Also, many of them don't have an address in the advert leaving you to look for their website. How many people just don't bother?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Ad-blocker on?

I think there's revenue in the data that's garnered and sold on from following our browsing history and we have no idea just how much of our privacy is being invaded and pimped.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Ad-blocker on?

0-anthony-0
Helper

With the AdBlocker I'm currently using (uBlock Origin) there is an option if you Right-click called: 'Block element'

Go to an empty space on a banner, right-click and choose 'Block element'. It's at the bottom of the list on mine.

The element of the banner that's going to be blocked will turn 'pinkish'.

Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen and a box will be there or appear,  with options to - 'Create' - 'Pick' or 'Ouit' - Choose 'Create' and the element highlighted will disappear.

There can be many elements to a banner that can be blocked, so sometimes you might need to repeat the above directions, two, three or sometimes more times, to remove the full banner.

With a little practise and experience you find where to start with the right-click to often disappear the banner in one move.

The half page banner that once  blocked viewing a Facebook page without signing-in for instance, could be fully removed by starting in the top left-hand side of the banner. If you started in other places it took 2 or 3 blocks to remove all the elements.

For instance the login box was a separate element than the background if you started there.

I'm using Firefox browser, though, other AdBlockers and other browsers might offer this facility. I have some memory of being able to do the same thing in ABP or the variant I was using (AdBlockEdge). Though I've only ever used Firefox.

It's useful and not difficult to get used to using when necessary.

If you inadvertently block something by mistake, go to the uBlock icon in the Tool bar. Left-click on it and choose the 3 arrows on the left from the 4 options below the big blue circle. Hovering over it, it tells that it 'Opens the dashboard'.

In the 'Dashboard' - choose - 'My filters' and you will find a list of elements you have blocked. The last thing you blocked will be at the bottom of the list. Delete it and click on 'Apply changes' at the top left of the screen.

Hope this assists.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent