Refund dispute

I recently sold an item via an ebay auction. Before sending the item I messaged the buyer to make sure he had checked the discription to be 100% sure what he was buying was correct because I said on the advert I was not sure the items name was correct so the buyer needed to check the photos and discription to make up their own mind. The buyer messaged & said he had made a mistake so could I cancel the transaction which I did. A few days later the same buyer opened a dispute through ebay saying another item he had purchased from me 3 MONTHS AGO HADNT ARRIVED ! I sent a copy of the postage lable & questioned why it had taken so long & why hadnt he asked me rather than just opening a case against me . A few days later the claim was changed to the item was not as discribed. I replied and said does this now mean the item has jusrt been deliverd after over 3 MONTHS & if so how is it not as discribed. I got no further reply . Weeks later Ebay contact me and said the case as been found in the buyers favour & I have to refund. I spoke to ebay who say Its paypal who delt with the case Its nothing to do with them. Ive looked at paypal but there is no case listed so they cant help me. What on earth can I do ????

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Refund dispute

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

That's a payment dispute.

Unfortunately if a buyer opens a case it's actually against eBay who look upon the PayPal claim as a payment dispute and the only way you can defend it is to prove delivery.

In the case of not as described a seller has no defence but has to accept the claim and refund, otherwise they are forced to refund and a fee of c£14 is charged.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Refund dispute

But after 3 months? And when I question it he says its not as described?
How can he claim for an item not delivered and not as described???? If he
hasn't got it how can it be not as described as he hasn't seen it? If he
has suddenly recieved it and says not as described surly he should say in
what way & ask me for a postage label & return it. He didn't answer the
question or return the item so he's failed to communicate and provide
evidence so it should be awarded in my favour . Again he has the item and
my money now !!!!!!
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Refund dispute

Before managed payments [where eBay get paid and not the seller] a buyer would pay a seller directly and the PayPal case would have been opened directly on the seller who would have dealt with it by obtaining the return of the item and then refunding.

Unfortunately now a seller does not have PayPal protection and under managed payments it seems that there's no way for a seller to insist on getting an item back before refunding.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent