Where did these bids come from?

I won an auction today but am confused where the other bids came from? I was the only bidder & watching the auction clock count down to zero. After this I got the 'congrats' message but the price had gone from my starting bid of £120 to £143 (still under my maximum). The bid log claims there were 6 bids made. 

Bid 1 - My Bid

Bid 2 - 11 minutes before the auction closed

Bid 3 - 10 mins 45 seconds before the auction closed

Bid 4 - 10 minutes before the auction closed

Bid 5 - 1 minute before the auction closed

Bid 6 - As the auction closed my final auto bid (still under max bid)

My question is / why didn't I see any of these other bids when I was watching the auction close in real time?

I'm happy that I won and the item was still cheaper than I was prepared to go up to / but as a new EBay user I'm keen to understand what happened?

many thanks 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Hi

Read this Ebay article about automatic bidding.   Someone else has entered a maximum bid too from the sounds of it.    Ebay was bidding automatically.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/bidding/automatic-bidding?id=4014&st=3&pos=2&query=Automatic%20bi...

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've read the article, but it doesn't answer my question as to why I couldn't see the other bids when I was monitoring the end of the auction in real time. EBay's timeline of bids say that Bids 2, 3 & 4 all were placed 10 minutes before the end of the auction. So why when I was sitting watching the timer count down to zero was my bid the only one showing? I can't see how automatic bidding explains that?

many thanks

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

If others bid in the last couple of seconds, it probably wouldn't show them till the page either refreshed, which would take a second or so anyway, or showed the other bids when you actually clicked on 'bids' afterwards.  

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi Knight Rider

I could certainly accept that if it looked like all the bids had come in the last few seconds. But EBay's own timeline shows Bids 2,3 & 4 as being made 10 minutes or more before the auction closed - exactly when I was watching in real time. So why didn't they show up while I was watching?

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I lost an auction the other day, that was on £5.50 with a few seconds to go, but i lost when it ended at £17.50, which just happened to be £1 more than my maximum, showing nothing inbetween those bids and it's not the first time. So sometimes i can't figure it out either 😉 Normally i don't bid till the last couple of seconds myself, but a couple ended late last week and i just put a maximum in, but each time, seem to lose by £1 when it jumps from say £5 to £20 in one bid, so often, i'm as confused as you. Either way, unless i win, i don't care!

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: