How to get refund

Hi, 

So I purchased a ps4 for £87 it said collection only I agreed with the buyer to get it posted to me if I pay him a tenner straight to his bank account which I did. He said he could not access his money until I gave him the collection code which I did yes I know it was stupid. now his saying he can't send it tonight until because he has to reset the console how do I get a refund. The £87 was sent thru ebay £10 to his personal bank account 

Any help would be appreciated 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How to get refund

To start with, I would first of all advise you to try getting your money back from the seller as advised by Guinevere and Papso22.  However, if eBay Customer Services are of no help and putting pressure on the seller to refund the money in the manner that Papso22 has suggested, there is still one other option open to you, although it would pretty much depend on how determined you are to get that money back.

If the seller does indeed start playing Silly Buggers and won't refund your money send the seller a Letter Before Action notice to inform him/her that you intend to take legal action in order to get your money back.  Hopefully this will be enough to scare the seller into refunding you in full so as to get rid of you before you pursue him/her via the Small Claims Court for the money, but you would have to be prepared to see this course of action through if the seller were to call your bluff.  If you were to win you would get your money back, but if you were to lose then you could stand to lose more money in expenses, so it would be worth thinking carefully about whether you wish to pursue this option before committing to doing so.

Is your seller a business seller?  If so, and you decide to chase the seller via the Small Claims Court, then send the Letter Before Action to the seller's registered business address, as well as attaching a copy of it to a message sent to the seller via eBay Messages.  I've never sent an actual letter via eBay Messages before, so you may need to take a photo of the letter and attach it that way, as if the text in the letter is clearly legible, albeit saved in jpeg (photograph) format, then it should go through when sent as an attachment with the message to the seller via eBay Messages.

In the event that the seller is a private seller and he/she has so far not disclosed his/her address to you (which I wouldn't have expected the seller to have done given that you asked him/her to post the item to you) then contact eBay Customer Services and ask them for the seller's address details, clearly explaining the reason as to why you need this information.  If eBay won't budge you could try to force their hand by putting in a Freedom of Information Request - after all, you committed to buying the item from the seller via an eBay listing, so you are entitled to know that particular piece of information.

At the end of the day you may well have to be completely determined to stand your ground and pursue the seller relentlessly in order to get the refund, but if you apply enough pressure and are unrelenting in your pursuit of the money then hopefully the seller will eventually crack and issue you with a full refund.

I hope all goes well and that you do end up getting a full refund from the seller, whichever way you decide to go about it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

How to get refund

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You can't get a refund through ebay as you could only have opened a case for item not received and by giving the seller the collection  code you have told ebay that you have the item.

I am not sure how a claim through your funding source would go, for the same reason.

Even if you were to get the £87 back, the £10 is gone.

I am sorry but I think you will have to hope the seller sends it.  EBay doesn't have processes to deal with situations caused by sellers and buyers doing things out of the ordinary. 

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

How to get refund

With regards to arranging with the seller to have the item sent to you via post, despite the fact that the seller had not included that as an option in the listing, you should have just sent the seller a message via the Ask Seller A Question function, saying something along the lines of "I see you do not have a postage option listed for this item, but if I were to pay you an additional £ [insert amount here] to cover the postage costs, would you be willing to revise the listing and add in a postage option so that I could pay you the full amount via eBay, including the amount required to cover postage of the item?"

If you had done this and the seller had subsequently agreed to do so and ended up revising the listing to include a postage option with the agreed postage costs added on, then you could have completed the entire transaction via eBay, including paying for the postage costs, in one fell swoop, and would have had  eBay Buyer Protection to cover every aspect of the transaction.  It's not always easy to foresee potential complications that may arise from a particular course of action, whereas hindsight is always 20/20, but it may well be worth remembering this bit of advice for the future so that you do not end up making the same mistake again.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

How to get refund

Tyx all just woke up to this message 

Hi mate , I am deciding to keep the PlayStation, I am going to refund you the money for the postage and then you can refund the rest of the money from eBay as the money is still on hold with eBay so it has to go through them , sorry to be a inconvenience.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

How to get refund

Because you scanned the QR code you will have great difficulty getting your money back now.

You could try contacting CS eBay Customer Service

Normally in a situation like this you can just open a Not Received case but I doubt if it is possible in your case.

******************************************************************************************