Case closed?

I purchased a Volvo V50 headlamp which turned out to be the wrong part for my car. Having requested a refund, the seller has refused and the case is now closed????

Order no. 04-11392-88158. Bought 1/4/24

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Case closed?

I'm guessing it was a private seller and you used the reason "does not fit". 

It should have been "not as described". 

All you can do is advertise it yourself I suppose.

@kristintange_9 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Case closed?

"Not as described" returns cannot be refused but they can expire if not escalated within 30 days.  If you used something like "Doesn't fit" as the reason that's classed as a "change of mind" return which private sellers can refuse.    Either way you can't do anything now via ebay but try contacting your payment provider and see if they can help.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Case closed?

OP does not say it was not as described, just that it was the wrong part.  Perhaps they ordered the wrong thing, in which case things have worked out as they should do. 

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Case closed?

You said that you purchased a Volvo V50 headlamp which turned out to be the wrong one for your car, but you didn't say whether you purchased the wrong item in error or whether you purchased the correct part but the seller sent you the wrong item.

In the event that you purchased the wrong one in error try checking the seller's other items to see whether he/she is offering the correct one for sale that you actually need.  If so then contact the seller, asking if you could send the first one back for a refund, whilst also purchasing the correct one at the same time.  If the seller agrees to your request then you could potentially end up with the correct item, and a refund for the one that you bought in error.

If you purchased the correct item for your car but the seller sent you the wrong item then you have a bit of a problem on your hands.  Given that you have already opened an eBay case in relation to this transaction and they decided the case in the seller's favour you will not be able to open another eBay case in relation to the same transaction.   In this instance if you paid via PayPal log into your PayPal account and open a case there for Item Not As Described.  Unlike eBay, who only give buyers thirty days to open a case, PayPal give buyers a total of one hundred and eighty days during which to open a case.  They also look at the case details far more closely than eBay do, so if the seller has made a mistake then that would work in your favour.

Should you end up opening a PayPal case make sure that you escalate the matter before PayPal's twenty day cut-off period.  So long as you follow these steps correctly you should stand a decent chance of getting your money back via PayPal if the seller did send you a different item to the one that you ordered and paid for.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: