eBay is dead

So looking back over my last 7 days of sales on eBay, I have the following numbers

12th - £1137.87

13th - £246.93

14th - £301.94

15th - £331.92

16th - £1016.40

17th - £696.60

18th - £552.38

and today big fat 0

I'm sure the lack of sales is doen to eBay hiding listings. Seems very strange. With over 1100 listings you'd think I would get a sale.

Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

Re: eBay is dead

@the_book_seekers wrote:

The £1000 limit is a trading allowance for businesses. Private individuals have the £12,000ish personal allowance. If you have to report to HMRC will depend on your total income including online selling in a given tax year. It's as well to keep some records of what you are doing incase HMRC does come calling. 

Happy new year and thank you for the info and also for clarifying this, as I am VERY CONFUSED now with all these new rules and regulations.

Message 21 of 34
See Most Recent

It's now new year 2024 and well after Christmas and STILL NO SALES at all on eBay ???

This is really getting beyond the joke NOW, No matter what I try or do - STILL NO SALES !

...The take down and relist trick to revive sales now no longer works anymore and LOWERING my buy it now prices on watched items brings NO RESULTS...

There are countless threads on here and on other websites of people complaining that their sales on eBay UK have NOW STOPPED AND NOTHING IS SELLING ANYMORE... but yet so far eBay don't seem to be doing anything to address the problem and GET MORE NEW BUYERS TO EBAY ! 

Of course the well seasoned buyers are now spoiled and simply just add the items they like to their watch lists and play the watch and wait game for the DESPERATE seller to crack up and send them a LOWER OFFER ! than the ALREADY REDUCED buy it now price ! 😞

I am now wondering how long is this NO BUYERS eBay going to last ? and where all this is going to end ??

I listed items yesterday and today and 8 of them are still on 0 - 1  views whilst 1 item has 3 watchers and 12 views as I write this post... So there is OBVIOUSLY there is a BIG VISIBILITY PROBLEM ???... designed to force desperate sellers to have to PAY FOR MORE BETTER VISIBILITY !... but what eBay don't understand that is they are now killing off private sellers by doing this AWFUL strategy of PAY MORE FOR MORE CHANCE OF YOUR ITEMS GETTING SEEN AND SOLD... I did try this but it didn't seem to MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE ! and my item still remained on 0 VIEWS ! 

I think that eBay really need to sort this out and RETURN eBay BACK to how it was BEFORE 2020 where frequent sales were taking place on eBay for ALL SELLERS and not just for the big power sellers and that VISIBILITY WAS EQUAL FOR ALL SELLERS without them needing to pay to have MORE VISIBILITY at the UNFAIR COST OF OTHER SELLERS LOSING OUT ON VISIBILITY because eBay is now hiding the poor people's eBay listings and SHOWING ONLY THE RICH PEOPLE'S LISTINGS because THEY HAVE PAID for an ADVANTAGE in order to CHEAT !  - This is A NO MERIT MANIPULATION between rich and poor people and makes me and other like-minded sellers lose all RESPECT for eBay for doing this disgusting practice and now taking the food off my table. 😞 😞 😞 😞   

Message 22 of 34
See Most Recent

im giving up, its got harder and harder all year. November till January has consistently dropped in sales dispite increasing my % and using advanced promotions, even 50% off sales. 

Views are down massively, yet my stock is up and my business is showing growth. It isnt worth sitting around all day trying to work the algorithms, I have other people looking to see where items are on the lsitings pages. They either cannot find them, or they are so low down the listing its not worth it. We are all competing now with sponsored ads, its not longer viable to give you an edge. Too much control, too much money to eBay, i have been upwards of 60% of sales going on post and ebay, so around 35% in sales costs. 

Message 23 of 34
See Most Recent

Lucky you making all this money this week i have made a total of £37.07 from tuesday

Message 24 of 34
See Most Recent

I find week after Christmas busy but the it dies off into the second week of  the new year.

If I dont sell, then I dont buy so the poor sales feed on themselves.

Message 25 of 34
See Most Recent

my ebay is rubbish,,, has been for months,, something is not right ,, keganalump   terrible sales and high listing costs,, after years on it im going to sell elsewhere

Message 26 of 34
See Most Recent

Ebay has had its day,,, its time to move on,,,100% there has been a change,,,views are 0 compared to last year where comparisons were about 50/60 views,,, deffo a change 

Message 27 of 34
See Most Recent

whatever they are trying to do,, its bad busines and they are going to lose out

Message 28 of 34
See Most Recent

@santlache_sales wrote:

I think that is what is so disappointing for sellers and people like me who have been on here for 20 odd years, we saw ebay when it was at it's finest. Virtually everything worked primarily because they weren't changing the design every five minutes, fees were a fraction of what they are now, but more importantly they didn't take control every aspect of a sale like they do now, they let you get on with it with minimal interference.

It's become a corporate money making monster and lost it's way some while ago because of it.

Yes.  Don't you just feel like some kind of "fulfillment center" now?  Rather than simply using this as a platform to trade.

Message 29 of 34
See Most Recent

@montecarlo98000 wrote:

People dont have the disposable income available for unimportant discretionary purchases of secondhand items they do not need in the current economic climate. Ebay used to be a great bit of fun, sell an old item and perhaps buy another old item on Ebay. This just doesnt seem to happen anymore. Interest, collectables, rare hard to find items are becoming scare on Ebay now.

It's a good point, I'll add that it seems like there aren't enough new collectors coming through.  Existing collectors already have most of what they want.  Kids do not grow up wanting to collect stuff now, they think owning things is uncool!   I mean yes they will spend money on collectables but they are all virtual items in stupid gambling simulator games (basically every major mobile/console/PC game that's aimed at kids and young people now).  FIFA (sorry, EA FC) and Roblox and Fortnite and stuff like that.

I am not being flippant either - gaming market is a massive juggernaut these days.   But those same kids don't so much want to even pay £5 for a classic older game in physical form that probably doesn't connect to the internet and so they can't play with friends etc.  The people collecting all that stuff are probably going to be middle-aged nowadays.   Record collectors, even older.   And antiques?  Postcards?  Books?  So uncool.  

And don't forget too, people's homes are getting smaller, rich or poor it's a luxury shoebox or HMO bedsit, no space for extra stuff but the essentials.  It's not like in America where even someone on a moderate income has enough space in their house that they can afford to dedicate an entire room to their He-Man collection.

In future all people will have is a phone.

Message 30 of 34
See Most Recent

Im wondering if Ebay are getting turned over by our Chinese friends who have basically swamped Ebay over the last few years. Possibly a reason why they keep trying to bleed even more money from businesses here.

A lot if not all of the chinese sellers registered in the UK have one of these rental addressess with about 50 other businessess on the door.  Checking with companies house they all have delared assets of £1000 exactly.  When they list the 10s of thousands of items and they start selling in large numbers I can only imagine that the money goes to a Chinese bank which then gets forwarded to another account so that when Ebay come to collect, their is nothing there to collect. Tht money has to be made up  somewhere and thats where us poor sods come in.

Im not saying this is going on and some might think it's a bit far fetched but usually the perfect fiddles are far fetched.

Message 31 of 34
See Most Recent

I noticed a Chinese seller selling an item for £12.99.

Other same items were being sold for £50+ with other sellers.

So I notified ebay saying it was a scam but got ignored.

Seller went on to sell 211 items before negs started rolling in.

After 15 negs item was pulled.

Now ebay tend to hold on to money for new buyers to counteract this.

Message 32 of 34
See Most Recent

I'm glad I got out if ebay when I did 2yrs ago..  they charged me 10% of the postage...What for ??????

They don't deserve good customers. 

Message 33 of 34
See Most Recent

The only thing I got annoyed about was an email telling me I now had to pay for google advertsing (which is what I thought I was already paying for) followed by a drop in sales which seemed like my sales had been turned off. Obviously, it was just one heel of a coincidence. 😑

Message 34 of 34
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: