Your selling account is now at risk - why do ebay use such intimidating language?

I received an email from ebay yesterday titled "Your selling account is now at risk". Upon investigation, it turns out that since last August I have had 4 cases closed without seller resolution. In all four cases, the items were sent to South American countries - Brazil, Argentina and Chile. The buyers had opened INR cases, but knowing how unreliable the post is in these countries, I had asked each buyer to wait beyond the last expected delivery date to see if their items would be delivered late. This has often worked in the past.

I realise it is my fault for not refunding the cases before they closed, but surely ebay would not suspend my account for this? I have been trading since 2004 on ebay and have a near perfect track record, I always post on time and have excellent feedback. Am I being judged on the performance of the mail delivery companies? 

To use such threatening language as "your selling account is now at risk" is ridiculous. Why not just a friendly email pointing out that I need to resolve cases before they close?  Grrrrrrr.....

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Your selling account is now at risk - why do ebay use such intimidating language?

Unfortunately its always best and you should refund before the buyer can escalate a case and ask ebay to step in, at least then you will always get your fees back too which you would not have.

Personally, Argentina and Brazil - send registered only as you say clearly unreliable postal service. Chile isn't too bad.

One other thing on the one Brazil did you put the CPF number on the address label. If you get future orders for Brazil you need to ensure the CPF number is on the address label, otherwise customs will refuse the item. (its like our equivaluent of our NI number) but Brazilian authorities since I think its last year require this on all sold items there. Its a personal identifier for tax/duty for the buyer. IF you send to a business in Brazil then its a CNPJ number and or their buyers passport number.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

If it's a first offence, then they are very unlikely to suspend your account.

But if you have top rated, your likely to lose it and the benefits that go with it.

But why are they not correct in telling you that your account is at risk, if it actually is?

"Am I being judged on the performance of the mail delivery companies? "

Yes, you are.  At the end of the day, it's your choice as to which company you actually use.

And it's your responsibility to ensure that items get delivered to customers.

If they don't, the buck stops with you and not the delivery company!

Really not trying to be harsh, but pointing out the obvious.  

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

Although eBay do count overseas sales separately from UK sales, it is worth checking your seller status to make sure whether your seller account really is at risk.

As far as I understand it, eBay divide your sales into "domestic" (ie sales to customers in the UK and Ireland), and then into various "zones" such as USA, Germany (which includes Austria and Switzerland) and "global" (which in this context means all the left-over countries lumped together).  They look at each zone separately, and if you've had a high rate of problems in one zone, they may stop you selling to customers in that zone - or charge you extra fees for sales in that zone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/global-seller-performance-policy?id=4351&st=3&...

But there are obviously some things (and some performance levels) so serious that eBay will close an account completely.   They aren't very open about this, but don't assume it can't happen.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the CPF number, will look into it. 

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply. 

Not trying to be funny, but how can I ensure that the buyer gets their item delivered?  Once I hand it over to the post office, it is the responsibility of Royal Mail and the postal service in the buyer's home country to deliver it. Are you suggesting that I fly to that country and deliver it personally? The buck stops with me in as much as I have to refund the buyer, but I can then claim from Royal Mail non delivery. 

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

You can't ensure a buyer gets their item delivered domestically or internationally.  You have to ensure you know the rules to play the game.  I think most of us sellers get our fingers burnt on occasion, learn from it and work out how we'll handle future transactions.  As for the delivering personally, I appreciate you stated it tongue in cheek, but you have zero proof of delivery.  No matter how tempting for very local sales that tracking is necessary if you get a claim.

The options are from the extreme: throw in the towel to the more realistic run the numbers on places and services okay to send with. 

By run the numbers I mean work out the extra costs of using a fully tracked and insured service vs sending a cheaper option and refunding out of pocket.

Refunding a buyer to comply with eBays requirements and making a claim for your loss are completely separate.  Many sellers become unstuck trying to bend giant corporates systems to work with each other (eBay refund/ royal mail claim) - that battle can't be won.  Royal mail process claims slowly, once an eBay buyer files a claim - your refund to avoid defects is subject to eBays predetermined time lines.

If your loses are 1 in 1000/year and the extra cost of fully tracked is say £2 extra per item, your additional insurance cost would be £2000/ annum and if your items are under £100, you'd be quids in just refunding that one loss.  looking at the larger picture, the loses can seam less significant and easier to refund. 

If your refunds become 1 in 50, then that is £100 (£2 extra per item x 50) extra cost for fully tracked  you need to weigh up your time cost to claim vs saving and straight refund.

I sell jewellery.  For a spell I sent everything special delivery - at the time around £7/ item - very rare losses with a slightly frustrating claim process when I lost.  I changed to RM24, losses were still fairly rare and savings around £3/ item so on a few thousand items a year, refunding a few not an issue - profit increase for me and time saving.  Then the royal mail strikes hit and delivery scans became an issue so running number RM24 tracked/ international tracked now stacks up better for hassle and cost.

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

You are right of course, tracked delivery would make things a lot easier. The problem is, I sell low value items and can not cover the extra cost of tracked delivery myself. The items in question sold for between £5.99 and £9.99 and standard delivery cost £6.80 but tracked cost £11.25. There simply isn't the profit to cover the extra £4.45 myself. The buyer can choose between standard or tracked delivery but 99% of the time opt for the cheaper option.

If I were a buyer, I personally wouldn't want to pay £11.25 delivery on a £5.99 magazine when I can get the same magazine for £6.80 delivery from other sellers. If I can't track it and don't receive it then I can always get a refund from ebay/the seller. If I were to include the cost of tracked delivery in the item price, then it just makes the item look expensive.

I know it makes sense to send high value jewellery with tracking, but ebay's obsession with asking all buyers to send with tracking just isn't practical with low value items.

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

It's unfortunate that this has happened to you, but if posting items to these countries it is proving to be problematic and resulting in eBay telling you that your selling account is at risk then perhaps the best option would be to update your settings as to which countries you do and do not post to, and mark these countries up as being amongst those countries that you are not willing to post to.

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

All I am saying, is that it is YOUR responsibility to get something delivered to the customer.

This is part of the way the rules work.  You cannot just turn around and say "It's not my fault".

It really doesn't matter what postal service you use, whether that be you personally delivering it, or relying on the worst possible courier available to do so.  It stays your responsibility.

So if it doesn't get there in a timely manner, then you need to sort it out ASAP.

Obviously there are issues with deliveries, but it's because it's been left and not sorted out, that Ebay have cracked the whip!

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

Just to play devils advocate a little on your can't send tracked comments

I assume you send Royal Mail, snooping on your listings.  It looks like you currently send 2nd class I assume large letter and at a guess most items are 101-250g so around £2.40.  

RM48 fully tracked large letter rates work out about 10 pence more (incl VAT which can be offset if you're registered) if sending over 1000 items a year, next price discount I believe is 5000.  If you send over 1000 fully tracked items per year you also qualify for business international tracked prices which are far more competitive than the over the counter or online domestic prices. 

Again if sending 1000 plus items a year you can get a free Royal Mail daily collection and free postage supplies like printer labels.

I'm not asking for your numbers or calculations on what adds up for your business model, I just wanted to add this as a potential option should it look like it might stack up.

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

"All I am saying, is that it is YOUR responsibility to get something delivered to the customer."

Wrong. Such as in instances when the buyer isn't at home. eBay's own stance is that it's the buyers responsibility to claim their parcel from a courier. So this would be that if the buyer isn't at home, misses the delivery. That would be the buyers fault and should they open an INR, eBay would side with the seller as long as proof could be provided that delivery was attempted. 

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

with regards to South American countries I would advise to block them all, they are all far too problamatic. I used to use Royal Mail tracked and signed and even with this the items were very often either stuck in customs for way past the expected delivery times or went missing . Brazil became moreproblamatic because the CPF number had to be added, then Brazil Customs had industrial action for months and now Brazil customs have been returning item with no explanation.   I have now blocked all South American countries . ebay should do the same , they cannot expect to punish sellers who attempt to send items there when there countries postal systems and customs are so out of line with ours

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Sorry, but no.  I am talking about consumer law which overrides Ebay rules.

It is the sellers responsibility, to get an item delivered to the customer.

Obviously, there is a reasonable allowance for the customer not collecting etc, but if the customer does not receive their goods within 30 days of the expected delivery, they must be refunded.

Ebays rules are more strict that the law in this regard.  Nonetheless, it is still the sellers responsibility.

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

I blocked all South American countries - and Mexico - over 5 years ago. I think less than half my International Tracked items were getting through on average. It's possible some of them arrived several months later.

Another place I had to block recently was Reunion Island - both items took 4 months to arrive and refunds had already been issued. Just not viable with eBay's INR rules.

Although Europe also has its problem countries - I stopped selling to Italy a year ago, I finally had enough of their 2 month Customs delays. If Slovakia can get items delivered inside a week, Italy has no excuse with the size of their economy and resources to take 8 times longer.

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

Italy and Mexico both seem to be back on track now as long as you add a phone number to the address. I am sending to both with no issues

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

You could use GSP to send to any South American addresses. You won't get as many sales but after the item has arrived at the GSP centre then the responsibility for delivery is theirs. A better option than facing being banned. 

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Do you enjoy playing the suicide game here on ebay?

You MUST refund before the last day of the case. If the case is due to allow a buyer to escalate on 24th. You MUST refund on 23rd.

I was below standard on the USA .com ebay for 1 year because I failed to follow this rule. Never again - I always make sure I refund. You can always follow up 2-3 weeks later and ask the buyer if the item arrived - they might pay if it does.

Personally I do not lose any sleep out of me cancelling orders for being out of stock - or say 3 negs in a row. But below standard makes sends me into depression - hence - I never let that happen. Better to give up £50 than thousands in lost sales due to your listings appearing on page 20.

Also - block South America

utter waste of time and money shipping there. Nothing arrives tracked or not.

You have up to 0.5% of transactions escalated before below standard - check your % and just make sure it does not go over 0.5% - frankly there is no excuse for it being over 0.0%

You could end up below standard on your global ebay - this is bad - as it includes all countrues not in the EU, GB and USA. That's a lot of the world. But losing any region is bad.

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

"

Also - block South America

utter waste of time and money shipping there. Nothing arrives tracked or not."

To be fair unless absolutely nescesary (an item only sells to buyers overseas) nobody in the UK should ship overseas at all. It's too risky regardless and even via the GSP, if it gets to them and for whatever reason they decide to open an INAD/Doesnt match description/Photos case, then you are on your own to pay it all, postage, taxes and so on to get the item back which could be costly. 

A few years back we were almost stung with an INR. Someone in France via GSP. Their end courier attempted delivery and nobody was in. By then it had exceeded the time until someone could open an INR case. They opened an INR and also left negative feedback. eBay stepped in with the case, found in our favour, removed negative feedback and that was that. The buyer was contacted but didn't understand a word of English and it arrived with them a few days later. 

It was a wakeup call. From then on we just wont ship overseas full stop. Probabaly saving them from being silly with money too (we once had someone buy a pack of socks with an RRP of £15 for £8. GSP delivery for them was £16). Probably if they haven't cut their nails properly they'd snag a hole in them in a few wears. 

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

I have a very low loss rate from shipments to USA, EU, Japan, Australia, Canada. Maybe 1 in 100.

So it works for me.

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent