Update on listing items

In view of all of the recent comments about how to generate more sales, I feel that I need to share some useful information which I have received from Ebay. It's ok to trade on a private account and share your contact details by adding them to your listings. It's ok to add a huge postage price to your listings even if you are not posting items. It's ok not to accept returns.

These decisions have been determined by a customer service assistant and not a bot so they must be true. Maybe we are all dim after all!

We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy.  This determination was made by a customer service agent.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update on listing items

Fair enough. Could you clarify some questions that are definitely not specifically about the initial listing that was mentioned instead then, please?

1) Are we allowed to list an item for say, £42, and charge £200 postage, but add a message stating that we will not post the item?
2) Are we allowed to trade as a business on a "private seller" account so that we can get the private seller discounts that are frequently given out and to avoid having to offer a valid returns path?

3) Can we add our contact details to our item descriptions to enable potential buyers to make a deal with us outside of eBay?

I only ask because I've seen listings (that are definitely not the initial listing referred to in the first post of this thread) where things such as this occur. It's quite annoying that people seem to be able to get away with things like this, yet if I toe the line but try to do something as apparently heinous as use the word "offer" in my item description, eBay instantly rejects my listing because it assumes that I'm trying to facilitate an off-site sale. (No, I'm not kidding.)

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Update on listing items

I feel your pain. 

I reported a listing with a brand name in the title and IS. The description specified it was not that brand and was a copy.

Same response received as you got.

Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

The reporting system is a joke. Different rules for different sellers. It makes a mockery of having policies when Ebay don't follow their own policies.

Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

I see this kind of thing all the time. An incident occurred with me around 6 months ago, I listed a particular watch bracelet link from a watchmakers collection, totally authentic and it was removed due to VeRO.

I contacted the company in question directly from the email to inform them that there were many (hundreds) of examples of sellers selling their product and provided links to around 20 of them, they thanked me for informing them and said they would be removed too.

They were not. One of them was an un-original copy bracelet link that had sold over 100 pieces over a few years that used the brand in the title and description and item specifics. 

There were examples from both private and business sellers.

I contacted them again to ask why they had not been removed and why my items in particular were targeted to which I received no response. The items remain on Ebay to this day.

Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

I had two (old) Queen Conch shells removed this week. They are on the CITES treaty as they have been over harvested but these were both over 70 years old with, obviously, no meat inside. 

Mine were removed. Loads listed on the site.

There is no sense in the management of any listings. Ones who blatantly flout the system get away with it and other items are removed for no logical reason.

Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

I gave up reporting things ages ago, it's pointless. I've reported game consoles that are modified to play pirate copies, along with 100s of games on CD-Rs (IE copies). I've reported fake postage stamps.

I've reported all sorts of things over the years and I generally put them on my watch list to see if they're removed.

99% of the time nothing is done.

But then a while back I listed a 'silver kangaroo' keyring and eBay removed it because apparently that's the name of a male 'performance' enhancer. I appealed and was assured that the listing would be reinstated but it never was.

They're trying to do everything by bot and outsourced customer 'service' agents to save money but it's clearly not working and more likely to drive customers away.

Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Well you have given me a good laugh 😁

(trying not to search silver kangaroo)

What gets my goat is that when the report states that it has been look at by a CSA, they are getting paid for this!

Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

I don't know what you reported it as, but i have just done the same so will see what I get back. But to be honest don't hold your breath the system is "broke".  Ebay don't care.

I really get the impression that we are the idiots and mugs for trying to do right by ebay being business, honest private sellers etc and a lot more, will they ever do right by us... Not likely they just don't seem interested.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

First, I reported one of the items and it was removed. Then submitted a report seller as all the listed items contravene policy. Put in a detailed report re postage, business details in pics etc.  This wouldn't go though as the blue button would not submit when pressed. Found a way around it which I cannot remember now and it was sent. And the result was - nothing wrong with this seller.

Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

As expected on the item number you showed in your original post. EBay deem it not to violate any policies although the actual idiot (sorry ai) adjudicated this time! So there you go it proves my point eBay don't care.

as previously mentioned you can trade illegally on eBay, display your contact details in pictures put ridiculous postage charges in. So that's business sellers, picture policy, postage policy and at this point in typing I give up the will to care about it anymore.....

Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Well it looks like the reporting feature isnt working as planned.

dave@ebay 

marco@ebay 

Could you please tell me how these listings, after being reported are still active and eBay can claim that the reporting feature is working as planned? If this is working as planned can we take it that eBay are fine with business sellers using private accounts, allowing sales offline and having a no refunds given policy?

As I have reported the broken reporting feature to the community team multiple times and each time I have been told its been reported back to the relevant team, again I ask who this team is because they clearly are doing a pretty shocking job at fixing the issue, it may be a lot more helpful to your customers if you report this to managment who can actually do something. I suspect the listing will eb removed when a human looks at it but that doesnt answer why after multiple reports eBay claim its not broken any policy when it clearly has.

If I've mistagged the eBay workers could somebody please tag them as I'd love an answer.

Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Just to add, a human has looked at them according to the response I got. Which makes it even more shocking and annoying.

'This determination was made by a customer service agent.'

Message 12 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Even more questions for the eBay staff (who we indirectly pay) to answer. Copy and paste answer of please use reporting is of no use when the reporting is broken.

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Same old same old with Ebay they have 112 listed items ALL the same so obviously a business not accepting returns - I dont think the systems is broken I think Ebay are purposely turning a blind eye with the attitude of "its not up to use to police our site" Maybe when this person is reported to trading standards they may take not but until then ebay just enable and encourage (with the 80% off FVF for private sales) this behaviour and they wonder why people dont trust the site 

Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

I also reported the listing and got the same reply as you, so what is the point of reporting things that never get acted upon

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Not sure that 'This determination was made by a customer service agent.' means that it's not Ebay's AI system. 

Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

If it's done by ai it will state accordingly. On the basis ai is not fit for purpose and is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, as I have never had report determined by ai to violate any policy. If it's a customer service agent you can get more success but I am sure half the time that's if they can be bothered. In the report box sometimes I send links of the policy they need to read and that does seem to help on occasion.

Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

Maybe it is done by a human CS.  If it is, the questions to ask are: (1) how many determinations an hour must the CS make to stay on target; (2) is the target realistic; (3) does the determination require a textual response to support the determination;  (4) are the determinations audited for validity and, if audited (5) what percentage of wrong determinations can a CS make before they are put on a performance plan.

Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

The issue with CS doing it as we all know is that 90% of CS are pretty useless, I was told theres teams around the world looking into reports and its basically just a list that gets divided up so you could get somebody in Philippines looking at a report saying this is a business and breaking UK consumer law, but they wont have a clue what UK consumer law is so think nah thats fine lets allow it. Its just another fault but I could be totally wrong and the reporting could be working as planned so I wont fully make my mind up until we hear from the eBay staff members.

Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

Update on listing items

@pg_kicks   "I wont fully make my mind up until we hear from the eBay staff members."

I am afraid you will be waiting in vain.  The issue with new new listings only running for 30 days and not starting on the same day of the month was first reported by US members on 10th February and since by Canadians and more latterly UK members on 1st March.

This was relayed to the relevant team and not a peep since the initial "we will get back" comment even though the issue has made the US blogs we are not allowed to mention on these boards.  This is a good indication of the utter contempt in which they hold for their paying customers.  Don't expect anything other than the usual platitudes and a promise that it will be forwarded to the relevant team, if that.

Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent