SEND OFFERS - not sending

Anyone else noticed they are not getting an response from buyers when you send out offers?

As a rule i normally get about a 1 in 5 purchase but the last few months i have not had a single bite off any offers, even sending out 15% off.

TBH i have not tried it with another account to watch one of my items so maybe jumping the gun a bit, your thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

I have sent offers to buyers , if you were getting 1 in 5  that's excellent , far better than my average.

Watchers ' watch'  for many reasons I believe the majority for not the reason to buy,  otherwise they would have done so, and purchased the item.    Most buyers do not realise they  may receive an offer for a lower price to buy.

I watch items  mostly for curiosity sake,  to see what that item finally sells for,  not always,  with an intention of ever bying that item.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

@pureshoresswimwear  Check to see if you have your 'pre-authorised' payment box ticked.  It is a default setting to be on.  If it is on, switch it off to see if this helps.  Many buyers are refusing to purchase with a pre-approved payment as they may wish to use alternative methods (cashback etc), click & collect or Paypal credit.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

It's true that the pre-approved payment may be a problem.

I often buy eBay stuff to be sent to a relative, sometimes with a postage upgrade.  The pre-authorised payment scheme stops this.  If I accept the offer, eBay automatically fills in my default delivery address, and the seller's default payment method - meaning that the item is sent to me, and I need to post it on to my relative.  Two lots of postage, several extra days' delay, and no option for me to pay for faster delivery, even if the seller offers it.

I don't know that disabling this  option will have much effect, though - because (as far as I can see as a buyer - I may be missing something here), there's no way of telling whether the seller has switched it on or off, until after I've accepted the offer - by which time it's too late.

I've certainly noticed a drop in buyers accepting offers since Christmas.  It could be just because buyers are now being swamped in automatic offers, so they just disregard them all - or they deliberately put extra identical  items on their watch list, and the first seller to offer them a good discount, gets the sale.   

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

@bravergrace   "I don't know that disabling this  option will have much effect, though - because (as far as I can see as a buyer - I may be missing something here), there's no way of telling whether the seller has switched it on or off, until after I've accepted the offer - by which time it's too late."

Very true, to a point, however a potential buyer who has not got a pre-payment set up may step out from finalising an offer when presented with this requirement before making the offer; or 'once bitten twice shy' when making future offers. 

I have certainly seen a significant drop in buyers taking up offers

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

when i make an offer now it still gives me the option to change the address to send to.i used the option 3 times yeterday.

i only use a pc or laptop so maybe that makes a difference.

See post 4 ?.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Sending-offers-to-watchers/m-p/7554759

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

@four_mid_able wrote:

when i make an offer now it still gives me the option to change the address to send to.i used the option 3 times yeterday.

i only use a pc or laptop so maybe that makes a difference.

See post 4 ?.

I don't get an option for changing the address, just the accept/counter-offer/decline buttons.  I'm using a PC - perhaps I'm in some sort of test group, then.  The last  offer from a seller which I accepted, and the last few I've sent to sellers, have not had any address option at all at the offer stage.  Just "offer sent to seller", followed immediately by a message saying: 

" Your offer was accepted by the seller. Your payment is complete.

Your order will be dispatched to:

followed by my default delivery address.

The last of these messages was sent immediately I made the offer, so the seller may have had an automatic acceptance of the offer as well as automatic payment switched on?

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

So after reading through the posts so far i have now turned off pre approved payments for best offers.

Took me ages to find the settings lol,  but hopefully this will help and i will keep you updated if it makes any changes.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

I sent 90ish offers on Friday and had 12 accepted - much higher than usual I did write a message prompting  its Valentines weekend, last chance for delivery in time.

Thats quite a good acceptance rate for me from a bulk send.  I usually think around 2 or 3 extra sales, is good from 100 sent.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Today I have noticed that I have 2 items that are eligible to send an offer to two potential buyers / new watchers

There's one on one of my accounts and another on my other account

when I click to send an offer my items grayed out and it just does nothing. I can not click on it to send the offer to the watcher
is there some glitch on eBay at the moment?

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

No glitch, well others are not reporting this, are you sure your buyers are eligible to receive these offers,  there's quite a few criteria to fulfill.

Your offers get sent to buyers who satisfy a number of conditions including:

1.  They haven't received an offer from you for the same listing previously.

2.  They haven't purchase the same item from you previously

3.  They're watching your item

4. They've had the item in their shopping basket for a period of time

5. They've viewed your listing multiple times

6. They're a buyer in good standing on eBay.
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent