No Fees for selling Clothing?

So Ebay has abolished all fees for selling clothing on a private account.

Now more than ever surely the clamping down of businesses operating from private accounts has to increase?

I feel so sorry for those in this niche who trade legitimately as businesses who are competing with "private" sellers who just got handed a massive chunk of money.

Message 1 of 194
See Most Recent
193 REPLIES 193

Re: No Fees for selling Clothing?

The trick with buying second hand clothes, is simply to know the actual measurements, rather than a Size M/L/12/14 etc.  ie. base decisions on pit to pit size etc.  It's far more accurate that way.  Though there is of course some variations, depending on the fit etc.

Many brands fit slightly differently with the named sizes, even though they really shouldn't.

But a lot prefer the convenience of just looking online, rather than actually going to a shop.  It's just the way the world is these days.  🙂

Message 161 of 194
See Most Recent

@therenewalworkshopltd wrote:

The trick with buying second hand clothes, is simply to know the actual measurements, rather than a Size M/L/12/14 etc.  ie. base decisions on pit to pit size etc.  It's far more accurate that way.  Though there is of course some variations, depending on the fit etc.

Many brands fit slightly differently with the named sizes, even though they really shouldn't.

But a lot prefer the convenience of just looking online, rather than actually going to a shop.  It's just the way the world is these days.  🙂

I agree about needing to know the actual garment measurements.

It's a pity eBay doesn't make it a requirement to have them on clothing listings.

I also wish sellers wouldn't use AI discriptions either.

Message 162 of 194
See Most Recent

I think buying everything online generally is a generational thing.

My son (32) has at least two deliveries a week every week from online purchases !   From his contact lenses to clothes and aftershaves.

I cannot remember the last time he actually went into a store.

Message 163 of 194
See Most Recent

Hi there, did you ever get an answer to this question re new with tags?  Thank you. Tracey

Message 164 of 194
See Most Recent

@marketinghorse100 wrote:

Hi there, did you ever get an answer to this question re new with tags?  Thank you. Tracey

Yes.

It includes new with tags.

Basically private sellers won't pay fees on clothing whatever condition it's in.

So all those business sellers selling clothing on private accounts are quids in.

Message 165 of 194
See Most Recent

You can still just accept returns if you are on a private account, so that takes away the negative part you mentioned. Even if you were going to not accept returns you can write off the loses by the 10% each sale you are saving, pretty sure returns on clothing will be around the 10% mark, even if they all damage the item on average you would be breaking even or making a profit as you dont buy yourself for the sale price.

You say you wont buy off business on a private account but your average buyer has no idea of the difference, there really is no positives to being on a business account if you are selling clothes.

Message 166 of 194
See Most Recent

Pre-owned clothes are items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used. Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/fashion-selling/#clothes

All found in FAQ

Message 167 of 194
See Most Recent

Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash.

And it will adversly affect Charity shops around the country with their lifeline being drawn to ebay -

greed over morals.

Message 168 of 194
See Most Recent

is now free for UK based private sellers, which means you’ll no longer have to pay transaction fees (final value fee and regulatory operating fee) when these items sell. 

I was under the impression the regulating fee was for the submission by ebay of info to HMRC - is this encouraging the 'new sellers' to commit fraud, or are ebay submitting the info for free leaving the existing sellers having to pay for the privilege of ebay sending the covert info?

Message 169 of 194
See Most Recent

I'm not sure how people selling their own clothing that they worked hard to pay for is greed over morals.

If you have a look on the eBay homepage there is a designer charity shop auction link. Oxfam, Cancer Research and BHF have plenty of Prada, Gucci and Moschino listings and getting huge interactions. Most of the big charity shops have already evolved to eBay and will be just fine especially if eBay are giving them such a boost in visibility. 

There are charity shops closing down but from what I see it is often self induced because they got seduced by eBay prices and their shop floor pricing got out of control.

Message 170 of 194
See Most Recent

I was not suggesting the hard earned folks who are immoral - its the actions surrounding those encouraging the actions 

No fees ? how is that going to work in reality - are ebay becoming a charitable entity?

Will ebay process the processing of the payments free of charge too? 

will the charitable designer set up simply die, if the stocks charity shops used to receive end ?

I dont feel many folks will still be seduced by ebay prices these days.

Message 171 of 194
See Most Recent

Apologies I have only skim read this thread here and there so misunderstood where you were coming from.

Dont forget many of us use cashback sites. So I can buy a piece of clothing from a private seller now, get 10-12% cashback via eBay who also charge 0% fees to the seller and take a big hit on it. I'm sure they will be alright though as long as business sellers keep filling their coffers with the shop subscription fees to balance it out. 

Message 172 of 194
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, appreciated - ive been on ebay too long and remember it when it used to be a decent run site.

Message 173 of 194
See Most Recent

It applies to new and worn clothing which must be hugely reassuring to those poor, unfortunate 'private' sellers who regularly list hundreds of brand new items often in multiple sizes that simply need another home.

Message 174 of 194
See Most Recent

Actually no, I disagree with you.

Yes, a private account can accept returns if they choose to do so.

But if it's a business, that is getting around the rules, then they are very unlikely to accept returns, are they not?  I've yet to see one that does.

And I don't believe that the average buyer doesn't know the difference.  Of course some wil, some won't.  But I do think that the majority do know it.

And the single main advantage to being a business, using a business account, is that you are complying with the LAW!  Never mind Ebay's rules.  

I for one report those accounts that I can see are obviously business', using private accounts, to trading standards.  And will continue to do so.  At least until Ebay starts taking some proper action against them.

Message 175 of 194
See Most Recent

Can you report an eBay seller to trading standards without have their name/address details? Have you noticed any changes to the accounts that you have reported? Thank you.

Message 176 of 194
See Most Recent

You can report the information that you have.

From the listing, you can get a location, as it depends on exactly where you report it.

But if you provide the ID and Ebay information, they can then contact Ebay.

Whether or not it any actions comes of it, I really don't follow that much.

But I do know, that I have done my bit.

But if people are reported regularly, then some action will be taken at some point.

And the more who do report, the better.

What these business' are doing, is trading illegally.  And I have zero compassion for them.

It's the same when reporting VAT fraud etc, you don't need complete details.  But obviously the more you have, the better.

Message 177 of 194
See Most Recent

Thank you. I have never had any sympathy for these so called ‘private’ sellers but now that they don’t pay any fees it adds insult to injury. I think in view of this it behoves EBay to take action on this.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 178 of 194
See Most Recent

Yes.

Basically private sellers won't pay fees on clothing whatever condition it's in.

So all those business sellers selling clothing on private accounts are quids in.

Message 179 of 194
See Most Recent

@greatstuff-365 wrote:

Yes.

You've just cut and pasted my reply from post 165.

But it's worth repeating that business sellers are being treated like giant cash cows while unregistered businesses sellers are rewarded endlessly.

Message 180 of 194
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: