HOW DO COUPONS WORK (yes, I know this has been a thread already!)

I've checked all the blurb about coupons, but nothing there explains how they actually work, so looking for an explanation.

Most of my listings are with 'best offer'.  I appreciate that its it straightforward to apply the 15% coupon when making payment, but what happens to 'best offers'.  Logic tells me that coupons can't applied when best offers have been accepted.  Can someone confirm this?

A few more questions:

Is the coupon for one item or can it be applied to more than one item?  Can it be applied to an order if more than one item is being purchased at the same time.  Or can either option be applied?

Can coupons be only existing customers or can they be sent to watchers?

Can a minimum or maximum spend be applied?

I'm fairly certain coupons I've received have used by dates, is this date determined by the seller or by eBay?

Anyone out there recommend coupons?  Anyone not recommend them?  

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

what happens to 'best offers'.  Logic tells me that coupons can't applied when best offers have been accepted.  Can someone confirm this?

If you make an offer a coupon then can't be added to that offer.  If a buyer makes you an offer and you accept a coupon can't be added.

If your item is on a markdown sale then a coupon can also be added

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

Is the coupon for one item or can it be applied to more than one item?  Can it be applied to an order if more than one item is being purchased at the same time.  Or can either option be applied?

You enter the coupon at checkout so it applies to any relevant items in the order.  A coupon is like the ebay packaging voucher if you get one.

When you set up the promotion there are various options of one item or combination.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

I've checked all the blurb about coupons, but nothing there explains how they actually work, so looking for an explanation.

Most of my listings are with 'best offer'.  I appreciate that its it straightforward to apply the 15% coupon when making payment, but what happens to 'best offers'.  Logic tells me that coupons can't applied when best offers have been accepted.  Can someone confirm this?

YES CANNOT BE APPLIED TO BEST OFFERS IN MY EXPERIENCE

A few more questions:

APPLIES ONLY TO ITEM THAT IT IS ON (but no one has ever tried to apply on a multiple purchase, so not 100% sure)

Can coupons be only existing customers or can they be sent to watchers?

YES AT END OF MAKING COUPON YOU GET OPTIONS TO SEND TO GROUPS (Maybe, you might want to take a look at 'groups' in advance, and see if you can make a group of watchers). During black friday mayhem I send from my orders page to past buyers.

Can a minimum or maximum spend be applied?

YES, I think so. 

I'm fairly certain coupons I've received have used by dates, is this date determined by the seller or by eBay?

SELLER

Anyone out there recommend coupons?  Anyone not recommend them?  

I USE THEM TO COLLECT WATCHERS. Usually people make an offer just below the coupon price which I accept. I suspect some were hoping to use the coupon as well. But no one has ever complained. If worried, just counter-offer a penny below their offer saying someting like... you do know you can't use the coupon as well right?   🙂

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

See CAPS above

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

They can be sent to followers as well via newsletters and posted to social media.  The newsletter option lets you choose groups as well.

Min max spend can be applied

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks Sheba

found the answer regarding watcher particularly interesting - I have a theory that the number of watchers a seller has separates the men from the boys (or the women from the girls!)

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

I purchase a oil heater with a promotion to to take 8%off the purchase price but the offer wasn't applied on the point of purchase can you help the seller it and eBay offer not there's 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

@jacquelinsmithe-0 the eBay forum is eBay buyers and sellers helping each other out . 

eBay help (top and bottom of page on desktop/ bottom of menu items on mobile) may be able to do something for you.

Alternatively, if the seller hasn't sent the item yet, you can ask them to cancel the transaction.  You can then buy again entering the discount code in the code box at checkout.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: