Global Shipping - Restricted Item

Maybe once or twice a year, one of the items I sell via global shipping is not sent due to it being "restricted":

We're writing to inform you that your recent transaction sold through the Global Shipping Programme to x can't be completed.

The item in question has been classified as restricted. This could be due to import/delivery restrictions or eligibility requirements within the Global Shipping Programme. The item will not be sent on to its final destination and will not be returned to you.

Don’t worry! Your buyer will be notified and refunded automatically by eBay within 72 hours. You will retain the buyer’s original payment. At this time, the transaction is considered complete and no further action is needed.

Every single item I sent out on Tuesday has now come up as restricted - 6 items, to 6 buyers in different countries. Some are repeat buyers.

I now have to waste time dealing with the fall out of this and undoubedtly they will all find themselves relisted from other accounts soon anyway.

My question is, what is going on and how can I trust the GSP to offer any form of reliable service if this happens this frequently?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

What item are you trying to send?

GSP does have some obscure restrictions 

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

If GSP classify your items as jewellery then this is why they are being resticted

You have them listed in the Jewellery and Watches category - so this may be where eBay gets the idea they are restricted

You cannot send jewellery via GSP 

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

I've sent tonnes of items with gsp, nothing has changed and surely it would not allow me to send them and eBay would not take the hit for the item being "restricted" 

I'm talking 1000+ items here, maybe two or three have had this happen in the past but for 6 at once, something has changed.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Three possible problem words I saw in the titles of a few of your completed listings that might cause issues with GSP 

Gold

Lizard

Jewels 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Sorry that's irrelevant, none of those were gsp items I'm talking things I've sent 1000 times without issues over many years that for some reason became an issue for 100% of the time on one day only. 

I am seeking answers to what has happened to the gsp on that day not looking for reasons as to why my items may have been restricted as they have been fine without issues before.

Not only this I can see tens of thousands of items in my categories available via gap worldwide many of which I've bought before again without issues.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

I send costume jewellery via GSP have had no trouble with anything at all 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I'm with you on this one. Once in a blue moon something gets rejected by GSP and it never makes any sense whatsoever. It will just be a bog standard leather jacket or sheepskin. And yes I used to check with CS and they were always mystified too.

Two clues:

Once when this happened, the CS was quite helpful and started looking through all of my items and saw that quite a few were restricted. (You can check yourself by setting your area as USA etc and then see which of your items offer GSP). That was a glitch which had to go to tech but was quickly sorted. So I would check my other stock...

My other thought is whether occasionally GSP does spot-checks (a bit like the tax man) and you just caught unlucky on that Tuesday having six things on the way out an idiot spot-checker who had his/her info wrong about some of the stuff other posters here have suggested? Nothing would suprise me with ebay. We have to remember it is a huge firm. They must have loads of CS 'babies' who go 'ooops' occasionally.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: