Attempted scam on first purchase

Just received notification that a buyer is disputing a purchase stating that they don't recognise the transaction.    It is an £18 that shows as having been delivered yesterday.   It is their first purchase on eBay.   Hopefully eBay will side with me on this one.   

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

The online delivery confirmation should be all you need to defend the dispute. Just make sure you provide the tracking/reference number to the dispute as eBay do not add it automatically even if the shipping was purchased via eBay.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Tracking number shows the item has been delivered.    Had a few bad experiences as a seller recently, and it's so sad that it has all become so stressful.    

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

If the tracking that you submitted to eBay via the case proves that the item has been delivered to the buyer then eBay will decide the case in your favour.  If the buyer leaves you negative feedback prior to eBay deciding the case in your favour you would be able to get this removed by contacting eBay Customer Service and pointing out that seeing as they decided the case in your favour, the buyer's negative feedback should not be allowed to remain.  Under those circumstances eBay would remove the buyer's negative feedback, in which case the associated defect would also be removed from your account.

If the buyer is a newbie to eBay and has already tried his/her hand at scamming on his/her very first purchase then this is likely to set alarm bells ringing with eBay, in which case the account will more than likely be closely monitored in future.  Should the buyer attempt to do this with other sellers and eBay spot a pattern of this behaviour emerging they would more than likely suspend the buyer's account.

If you have not already done so by the time you read this reply, make sure that  you add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he/she cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and cause you any further aggravation.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Already added to my rapidly expanding blocked buyers list

Just  find it really sad that they have joined eBay with the sole purpose of getting something free.

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Sorry that you've experienced this but get use to it its so common now days i've seen scammers increase by ten fold on ebay the last 4-5 years its beyond ridiculous now and the norm now however as stated previously if your tracking indicates its been delivered to there address on there ebay account your covered by ebay even if the bank sides with them. 

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Iv'e seen othere posts about this sort of thing ,sometimes it's because newbie buyers don't understand a payment to ebay commerce on their statement or someone in the family has used the account without telling the account holder.

It's not always a scammer and i would have thought a scammer would go for more than 18 quid.

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

The last time someone did  this the item cost £4, so not all scammers aim high.    Had to refund that one as it was a large letter, but I'm fighting this one.     Surely if you had received something you hadn't ordered, you would contact the seller, but going straight to their bank screams scammer to me.

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

It could also be a hacked card set up as the payment method on a new ebay account created by the hacker.  Perhaps a test purchase before a bigger one is made?

It could be a scam, but you have no evidence it is and there are other explanations. 

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

The dispute reads "Your buyer filed a payment dispute for an order placed on 11 Apr, 2024. This means that they disputed a charge directly with their payment institution. They're requesting £17.99 back, and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer didn't recognise the transaction."

The item was delivered on 15th April, so they have had ample opportunity to contact me to request clarification,  especially as I enclose a compliment slip with all orders with my phone number.

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Many card statements do not have the seller details.

Not recognizing the transaction is very common & in no way a scam.

Just follow the Seller Protection in the link I provided.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

If the card was hacked and the account does not belong to the card holder, the address used for delivery would also not belong to the card holder, so they would not have received the delivery.

You seem determined to see it as a scam, but it doesn't matter as your proof of delivery to the address ebay gave you at chackout provides you with seller protection., 

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Ok, maybe it's not  a scam , we'll see what the outcome is.   

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

It might be a scam - or someone buying on a stolen card -  or a genuine mistake - or an over-active automatic "fraudulent payment detector" at the credit card company, that has thrown out the transaction - or it might not.

Fortunately, you have tracking that should protect you in either case.

Logically, eBay should always carry the can in these circumstances.  Because they handle the payment, and they are the only ones who can detect fraud or possible dodgy transactions.  It really isn't something that should depend on tracking.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

as I enclose a compliment slip with all orders with my phone number.

Just be carefull with this ebay do make test purchases anonymously.

This could be read as looking for offsite sales.

Any sniff at all of this they'll be on you like a ton of bricks.

Sounds like the buyer has open a charge back, so all you can do is present your evidence then ebay pass it onto the card provider, ebay make no decision in this matter at all, they are just the middle man.

Best of luck i've won a few of these over the years.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks, I never thought of that as it has never lead to any off site sales.  Just thought it was good customer service.   I'll stop doing it.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

@moldosgifts wrote:

Sounds like the buyer has open a charge back, so all you can do is present your evidence then ebay pass it onto the card provider, ebay make no decision in this matter at all

The buyer (or their bank/card issuer) has claimed they don't recognise a payment to "eBay Commerce UK Ltd". In these cases eBay requires the seller to upload an online delivery confirmation; once that is done eBay does not hold the seller liable for settling the dispute. 

However, eBay should not be passing "transaction not recognised" nor "transaction not authorised" disputes on to sellers at all. In these cases the dispute isn't because there is a claim the goods weren't received or weren't as described; the buyer (or their financial institution) is claiming the payment to eBay is not recognised or wasn't authorised. Only eBay has any control over this; if eBay haven't enabled 3DSv2 checks in their Adyen integration that is entirely eBay's problem, not the seller's.

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

In the end it is not ebay who decide it is the card issuing company. 

Ebay then tell the seller the outcome, it is for the seller to show it was delivered and to the address provided.

Provide that and seller should win the case but it is not a given.

It is unlimatley down to ebay but getting them to admit it good luck trying.

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

@moldosgifts wrote:

In the end it is not ebay who decide it is the card issuing company. 

Ebay then tell the seller the outcome, it is for the seller to show it was delivered and to the address provided.

As per eBay's payment dispute seller protections (linked earlier):

"When a buyer opens a payment dispute because they didn't receive the item or they don't recognize the transaction, sellers will be asked to provide:

• Evidence of successful delivery to the address provided by the buyer at checkout, or
  • Proof that the buyer collected the item

If eBay determines that the item was successfully delivered or collected:

• We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and
  • We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee"

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: