R.I.P. Frank Kopel

Dundee United football legend Frank Kopel has died aged 65.

The defender, who had been battling dementia, made 407 appearances and lifted two trophies for the Tannadice side over 10 years.

His wife Amanda has been campaigning for dementia and Alzheimer's awareness, and met with health secretary Alex Neil last month.

Alzheimer Scotland joined football clubs and fans in paying tribute to Mr Kopel.

Mr Kopel, who was inducted to the Dundee United Hall of Fame in 2011, started his career with Manchester United as a schoolboy in 1964.

He made 12 appearances for the Old Trafford side, including a European appearance against Anderlecht, before moving to Blackburn Rovers in 1969.

He was signed by United manager Jim McLean on New Year's Day 1972, and became a mainstay at the right-back position in a team which won back to back Scottish League Cup honours in 1979 and 1980, the club's first major trophies.

Hail Hail
Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

RIP  Frank.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

R.I.P. Frank
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

RIP Frank 😞
KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

That's really sad news. Respect and sympathy to his wife.

Do you think defenders risk long term health problems from persistant heading of the ball? Especially the older chaps who had to deal with heavier balls.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

I saw a programme on STV a while ago that looked into this Nigel and they said older players were very much at risk because of older heavier balls , some players said they felt like they were heading a medicine ball especially when they were wet .

Hail Hail
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

It must have had a similar impact to boxers being hit hard. Imagine one of those old balls on a wet day, and you are playing a long ball team. Ouch!

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

It doesn't bear thinking about Nigel

Hail Hail
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

That's really young for dementia. Very sad.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

R.I.P Frank

"He who Dares" in this game.
Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel

RIP
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Frank Kopel