Jimmy Armfield "Knock-Knocked"

As you all know I have an half decent collection of signed pieces from the boys from '66 and for the last 3-4 years been adding graphs to an original programme from the final and to a replica shirt.  Up until yesterday I only needed iimmy Armfield CBE to complete both projects. I did say last year after adding team Dr. Neil Phillips to both that i'd make a trip over to Blackpool at some point, An IP visit, to finish these. With The mother-in-law in hospital over in Blackpool for a lengthy period I made the effort to seek out Jimmy last Sunday. Having wrote to him on 3 occasions over the years  sinceI've been a member on here and having had reply's I fond out the address I'd been writing to was only a couple of miles down the road from Victoria Hospital. After visiting wasover last Sunday evening I popped down to the address with shirt,, programme and Sharpie in hand and also a donaton to a charity of Jimmy's Choice sealed in an envelope. Rang the Bell and waited.......A Lady in her 50's opens the door...."Good evening" I say Is Mr. Jimmy Armfield at home and would it be possible to ask for a couple of minutes of his time please"?.........Then the words you ever want to hear........"Jimmy Armfield does not live here"........."I am sorry" I reply..then I go on to say I have written to this address previously and had a couple of pic's and his Autobiography signed in the past ...........Then the lady, Julie I now know, says "It's Jimmy's son John who lives here and I'm Jimmy's daughter-In-Law  john's wife.Julie asks if I  have travelled far.....I tel her the story of Val's mum and the Cancer treatment she is having, Now Jimmy Armfield and his wife Anne opened the  new unit in Victoria Hospital  back in 2008 where earlier Jimmy had also had treatment for cancer...and as I'd be to and from Blackpool oer te next few weeks it would have een easier to call in person rather than send these items Via Ryal Mail to the address or even Blackpool FC as these have been a labour of love over 4 years and a lot of time and effort and many a mile had gone into these projects and I would hate it to fall at the last hurdle......"Wel in that case I'll make sure Jimmy signs them for you. Leave them with me Alex( Julie had asked earlier  for my name and where I lived)  and I'll see Jimmy this week to sign them....So I left my Phone No's , the iems to be signed along with the donation and Sharie. Got home yesterday afternon, Message on the answer service on the landline.." Hi Alex, Julie Armfiel ringing just to let you know Jimmy has signed your shirt and programme and you can pick them up the next time your over at he hospital but ring first to make sure someone in home.....8.25pm last night i knocked once again to ick up my completed projects....Amazing feeling......Spend around 10 mins talking to Julie about the '66 pieces and got onto Bobby Grant who is now at Blackpol and started his career with Accrington Stanley and how Briteny and myself had kept in touch with him and only this wek had a reply from him, signing a couple of cards and a pic......Accrington Stanley supporters are you...Did you know my Husband John palyed in Goal for Stanley for a couple of seasons back in 1992/94...ws in goal when you were narrowly beaten by Scunthopre in the F.C cup round 2 in 1993, game was played at Turf Moor and Scunthorpe won 3-2?

Now I didn't know that.....It's a small world isn't it...Jimmy's son i goal for Stanley....Then I told her about the Stanley book I have on the go and that might be falling through the letterbox next week..Lol. said my good bye's and thanked her and Jimmy once again and left.  Thank you card and buch of flowers going with me today...last visit to Val's mum ,Irene, Chemo treatment finishes Sunday before we are away for a few days... 

Thank you all the boys from '66...Top Blokes in my book.....Alex from Accrington ..Over the Moon...."Forum members"....Mission complete.

So here is the shirt and Programme...trust me all are on the programme minus Alan Ball.

Players on shirt in order fro top to bottom are,

Byrne,Stiles,Ball, Jack Charlton, Peters, Hurst, Hunt, Cohen, Banks, Eastham, Wilson, Flowers, Springett Armfield, Connelly, Bobby Charlton, Paine, Callaghan, Greaves, Hunter and Team Dr. Neil Phillips.

"They don't come much better than this".

Sample picture

Sample picture

Sample picture

"He who Dares" in this game.
Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

2 stunning items there mate hope you got them insured because i bet there arent too many shirts and programmes out there with all those sigs on

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

great story Alex and both look amazing.  I love seeing completed pieces like this that so much work and effort has gone into and what a way to finish to them off Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

So thrilled for you Alex, and what an adventure it has been for you. I know these are your favourite collecting area and you deserve your success. Congrats - that is just awesome.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

NO WORDS CAN SAY IT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
IF SOME THING IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT
USUALLY IS
Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant those Alex its been great seeing you add to them both and even better seeing them complete glad it worked out with Jimmy in the end despite him not living where you thought

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Wow, what a fantastic way to finish both the shirt and programme. Both look stunning and congrats on getting them both completed. Superb Alex.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Best squad signed 66 programme & shirt i've ever seen. Absolutely amazing that you done this mainly via ttm too. Stunning!

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi Alex 🙂 A huge huge congratulations to you on completing a much loved project, god only knows we have seen a few scares with it lol it's been great watching it come to completion 🙂

The shirt and programme are truly awesome mate, well done .

Great knockknock too, shame he didn't live there but his daughter in law sounds like a really nice lady.

Stunning simply stunning 🙂

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Well mate that is stunning Alex ,I know you would never sell them but if I were too value them I would probs put £400-£600 on the programme and shirt just slightly less £300-£500 cracking best I have seen in a long time:):):):):):):)
KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING
Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Just stunning, Alex. You've put so much into these items and the final result looks brilliant.

Alex: THE collector of '66

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

I see Scunthorpe got in on the act Alex LOL
IF SOME THING IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT
USUALLY IS
Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

stunning mate well done

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

What can I say Alex you have two stunning and valuable items there very well done to you and what a fantastic story to finish them off Jimmy's daughter-in-law sounds like a very nice lady . Well done again and I look forward to seeing your Stanley book signed by Jimmy's son .

Still don't know what all this 1966 fuss is all about Smiley Tongue

Hail Hail
Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

awesome outcome alex,fantastic shirt and programme,you deserve it mate,with all the work and sweat you put into the project,really pleased for you mateSmiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Well done Alex,great items for your collection-I love it when a plan comes together

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Brilliant just brilliant congrats on finishing these great items

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Amazing shirt and program Alex. I'm very envious - would be jewels in any football fan's collection. Well done
Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent