bidding honestly

How is it possible for an anonymous so called bidder leap from 32.00 to my plant of 57.00 and bid 58.00 and win in a fraction of one second last evening?

Something is bent and so far i have found it

Jeffrey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Bids often leap in the last few seconds.

Many bidders prefer to bid a few seconds before the auction ends, which is perfectly legitimate. A bid is equally valid whether it's placed in the first second of the auction, or the last second.

Once late bids come in, eBay's automatic bidding system will automatically increase existing bids, up to their maximum.

So please be reassured that this explosion of activity just before an auction ends is perfectly normal.

This is why it's risky to hold back the amount you bid, in the hope of increasing it if needed - you may not have time to. Just bid the maximum you're willing to pay; that way, eBay's auto bidding system will keep increasing it for you until you either win, or are fairly outbid by someone who was willing to pay more. Which is what auctions are about.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@exmoormann wrote:

How is it possible for an anonymous so called bidder leap from 32.00 to my plant of 57.00 and bid 58.00 and win in a fraction of one second last evening?

Something is bent and so far i have found it

@exmoormann 

You haven't found anything dodgy, you're just not understanding how bidding works.

Many people bid during the final few moments. 

Your maximum bid was £57.

Somebody bid more than you. You don't know what their actual bid price was, save that it was more than yours so they won the item at the next increment.

Not bent....they probably use a sniper...perfectly allowed....

their maximum bid may have been more than £58 for all you know....

easily

people can bid right up until the listing ends,

you placed a high bid

but they bid higher than you so they won,

there is nothing 'bent' about this, it's how ebay works!

Why don't you look at the bid history, it will show the winning bid and time it was made.

You were outbid, what is bent about that? If you want to win place a high bid, but is someone else does te same you couldend up paying a lot more than you want to.

Not ' bent'  just careful  and very clever timing with the winning bid.

I usually bid in the last  few seconds,  sometimes so close it doen't show until the item has ended,   and shows that I have won.

Leaving it that close is a chance  of losting the auction too,  as it can easily be mis timed.

Ask a question