Is Asto finance for ebay a scam?

I have been approached by a company called Asto who cliam that they are a fiance company for ebay. After uploading ID docs and completing their application, they offered me credit. However, as soon as I tried to use the account for credit, then suddenly they tell me that my application has been denied. 

Now they have my ID and bank details. 

Has anyone heard of this scam?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Asto (a Santander company) has partnered with eBay to offer business finance loans to replace Paypals Working Capital Loans for business members.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/grow-your-sales/asto

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Doodle them and read up on them.

"Yes, I checked them out as they claim to be part of ebay. They appear legit, although terrible reviews and I thought that they were just trying to cash in on vulnerable businesses during the COVID19."

One then must ask - why did you proceed and given them your confidential details?

Unfortunately to be sure you need to change everything they have or could have - passwords, log in details, bank details, account details etc.

How do you know it's a scam...? Presumably you checked them out before uploading all your personal and financial information...?  If so, and you found they were legit, then it seems that you simply don't qualify for their credit scheme.  Not everyone will be eligible, obviously, which is why such companies have to check you out.

Of course, the email you received may have been a fake, ie. a phishing email, and not from the company at all. If so, your personal and banking information will likely have been sold all over the dark web by now. Contact your bank etc immediately if you think this applies, check your device for malware, and then do a web search for 'staying safe online'.

@strongduck_uk 

No sorry never heard of them. Won't be anything to do with Ebay. You need to change all your Details and Contact your Bank.

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor
Ask a question