Fraudulent listing for a lot of vehicles

Hello Can i advise members that there is a person that lists thousands of vehicles that they do not own ie cars, motorcycles, caravans,etc

This person is removed by Ebay when a complaint is made only to relist the same items under a new name why cant ebay stop this person as they are just a fraudster only intent on stealing peoples money and this person is doing this with the assistance of ebay who should shut them down i have just reported this person for the 4th time since the new year.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Although I agree with what Pixie said earlier, especially the part where she said "if people started to actually protect themselves by only paying after they have seen the vehicle the 'scam' wouldn't work", I do feel that eBay could - and should - be doing a lot more to make it harder for scammers to actually pull off the scam.  Personally, I feel that eBay should reconfigure the site in such a way that the only available option for sellers to list vehicles of any description is via Classified Listing option.  If eBay were to do this then it would give buyers no option but to arrange to meet the seller and physically inspect the vehicle first before deciding upon whether or not to buy the vehicle.  That way genuine sellers would get the chance for potential buyers to inspect the vehicle, with the listing remaining live until such time as the vehicle is sold, whereas scammers wouldn't be able to pull off the scam as if all they've got is a photograph of a car that they don't have available for sale then nobody in his/her right mind is going to hand over the cash once he/she finds out that the vehicle doesn't actually exist.  If eBay were to implement this option, I reckon the site would see a sharp decline in the number of these kind of scams blighting the site, but then again when do eBay actually implement any sensible changes to the site that actually change things for the better?  I would really like eBay to be able to prove me wrong on what I'm going to say next, but to be completely honest my prediction is that eBay will never actually implement the suggestion I've just made and these scammers will continue to blight the site for as long as eBay remains in existence.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

it happens all the time,

ebay shut them down but they just keep going

if people started to actually protect themselves by only paying after they have seen the vehicle the 'scam' wouldn't work

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"only intent on stealing peoples money and this person is doing this with the assistance of ebay "

actually the only one assisting this person is the buyer by handing over a wad of money to a faceless stranger for a vehicle they have never even seen.

While there are members who allow their accounts to be hacked and others who are prepared to give money to complete strangers for vehicles they have never even seen and probably don't exist the scammers will thrive.
Ask a question