Anyone receive messages from sellers asking for feedback from you but they wont give you feedback?

Don't know if this is the right place to post this...

Bought an item recently. It all works OK. No problems there.

Seller "Jock" messaged me saying he'd left me positive feedback and wants me to return the favour.

Checked - he had not left me any feedback.

Replied informing him I'd be happy to leave feedback, once he had done the same, FIRST.

Seller replied, now calling himself "Kathy" !!! "She" said "she" had left me positive feedback and wants me to return the favour.

Checked again - NO FEEDBACK.

I have not replied

Is this some sort of 'feedback scam'?

I'm concerned the Seller is not 'genuine' and is manipulating the system. I'm also VERY concerned he/she/they are trying to find an excuse to give me negative feedback and spoil my 100 per cent record (seller has got some negative feedbacks).

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Can't see how it can be a scam, if you have received your purchase then if happy you leave feedback,and if seller is happy thy too should leave, but it is voluntary.

Have you looked to see what if any feedback this seller has left for others, that would tell you whether they are just accumulating fb without ever giving any.

We alway recommend that sellers do not ask for feedback, they could easily annoy a buyer into leaving the sort they don't want. SELLERS can only leave Positive, negative Comments on Positive fb will be removed on request to ebay.

Not knowing whether they are Jock or Kathie makes me think that the seller is possibly a Chinese Business Seller and whoever gets the job of chasing for feedback just signs their own name.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Hi, i think you will find sellers cant leave negative feedback only buyers can, hope this helps you with your concerns.

1. Sellers can't leave anything but positive feedback for buyers (or none at all).  Feedback for buyers is therefore completely useless, which is why many sellers no longer leave it.

2. Unlike feedback for buyers, feedback for sellers is extremely useful, for obvious reasons. So buyers should leave it, and leave it first. Only then will a seller know the buyer has received the item and is happy with it (which signals that the transaction is complete). Few sellers will leave feedback first, as the buyer could turn out to be the buyer from hell.

3. Scams involve loss of money or possessions. No idea why you think that leaving feedback for a seller could lose you either of those things.

I hope this clarifies things, and puts your mind at rest. 🙂

@james_stoker 

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

the only way to 'deal'with feedback is - its voluntary so you leave it if you want to and are happy to.

Ask a question