"Upgrading" Windows 10 to 11 on PC ?

Has anyone done this and how did it go ?

Please do not feed the Troll
Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

just goggled this hope it helps but pop back

how to update 10 to 11 windows - Google Search

Petal
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

It depends how old your p.c is, because alot are`nt suitable or able to upgrade to windows 11. My p.c was 10 years old and could`nt upgrade, so because i thought it was about time to get a better desktop anyway, i bought another one with windows 11 already installed. i have to say, the difference between 10 & 11 is night and day, for the better! I`d gotten used to it within a couple of days and it`s so much better than windows 10 and alot easier to use. I only know enough on the technical side to be dangerous, so can`t explain why it`s better from a technical side, but as a user, i can`t recommend it enough 🙂

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

Took the plunge and pressed the button (microsoft keep nagging ) its been upgrading for 10 hours and is currently at 84%

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

10hours? are you still on dial-up or something 🙂

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

No and it's still updating ,was a blue screen now a black screen at 27% I think this is my life now ,watching some white dots go round and round. 

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

Went up to 40 % while I typed that ,oh the excitement 🙄

Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

i wiped a complete hard drive and reinstalled windows 10 on my old computer in 6 hours a couple of weeks ago And did all the updates!

Should`nt take this long, would have been easier to get windows 11 and install it yourself.

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

Done ,need sleep

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

Great stuff, lets just hope after all that time, you actually like it 🙂

Have to say, i`ve never been a big fan of installing new windows systems over the top of another one. i`m not so sure it`s an issue today, but `back in the day` it used to cause conflicts. i know it`s something not everyone is technical enough to do it, but i`ve always prefered wiping a hard drive clean and reinstalling from fresh, it`s amazing what a difference it maks to the p.c` performance as well and once you`ve done it once, it`s surprising how easy it is to do, if a little time consuming.

if anyone is prepared to go this route or would like to, i can provide the disc`s to do it, with very simple instructions on what to do, feel free to message me and i`ll go through it with you 🙂

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

I started many years ago with W98 which i upgraded to (dont laugh) ME ,installed  XPpro on a self build ,bought a pc with W7 which got upgraded to W10 ,my last pc was W10 "windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart" restarted it and got "no OS found" i changed to an AMD Ryzen with W10 a year ago for a change ,dont like it,it is slow and clunky compared to all my previous Intel pcs . The upgrade to W11 took 15 hours from the time i pressed the upgrade button to the time it finished ,i have had this pc for over a year.It went from downloading to installing while i was still useing the pc as normal that took 10 hours , restart to change to W11 tok me to a windows is updating type screen which took about 2.5 hours ,it got to 100% ,restarting computer took me from a blue updating screen to a black updating screen which took another 2.5 hours ,then i went to bed ! . Started up this am ,everything seems as is was when i started the update except for the task bar which has moved from the left to the center of the screen ,the start menu is a bit clunky but not as bad as i expected ,all programs are present, working and quicker than before . So far im liking it 🙂

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

I'm still bitter that I was cheated out of Windows 9.😬

****************************************************************************************

A consignment of geriatric shoe manufacturers.
Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

`I started many years ago with W98 which i upgraded to (dont laugh) ME ,installed XPpro on a self build`

Wouldn`t dream of laughing sir, been through all those o.s myself 🙂  Windows 98, wow, that`s going back a bit eh?

Anyway, glad you sorted it and trust me, after a few days you`ll love it, i hated windows 10.

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

i hated windows 9 and 10, but this windows 11 is brilliant, i love it 😍

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

I see we've had a bit of history above?

OK, how's this:- I started the Windows experience with Windows 95 (just don't ask about previous computers!). That was upgraded to Win 98 and that wasn't a good idea so I've sworn never to "upgrade" again. Next was XP, absolute magic, lasted OK for years until the hard drive began to fail. New HD installed but by then I bought another computer with Win 7. Great, super, fantastic. Years later, as Win 7 was going to cease to be updated I got a laptop with Win 10 (Win 7 was still going strong). Win 10 was OK, quite fast, a few odd quirks but OK. THEN..... the old Win 7 hard drive began to fail.... sooooo I got this all-in-one with a 27 inch screen... running Windows 11. Now it's very fast... but it didn't like some of my old programs but astonishingly another one from 20 years ago still works OK! The sound system isn't too hot, you can't do things you could in Win 10 and before. I found that there's still bugs in Win 11.... I really prefer the Start menu as it was previously but I've got used to the task bar.

There, quite an interesting journey?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

I started out with a Sinclair QL and advanced to an Atari 1040 STe ,still got the Atari 🙂

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

`I got this all-in-one with a 27 inch screen... running Windows 11. Now it's very fast...`

Same here, my old computer with windows 10 on it i`d had for around 10-11 years, but was`nt suitable for windows 11, so i bought this refurbed setup off Ebay, windows 11, 2tb hdd, 32mb memory, monitor, keyboard, mouse for £230 and compared to my old one, it`s fast as hell, certain things that took around half an hour on my old one is now taking less than 10 minutes. i do alot of music videos etc for my youtube channel as a 70`s pop duo fan and collector and it`s a breeze on this thing, i love it, especially now with windows 11.

I do agree with you on one thing though, but i`ve got used to it, i prefer the old desktop shortcuts rather than having to pin to the taskbar, but if that`s my only complaint, i`ll sleep happy 🙂

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

Those Atari 1040 ste` are going for £200-350 on ebay 🙂

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

Have any people used "sleep mode" in Windows 11? Is it better to "shut down" or leave the conputer in sleep mode? At one time it was said that computers should be shut down when leaving them for a while but does that still apply in Windows 11 with a solid state hard drive? Does sleep mode just put the monitor to sleep or the whole shooting match?

It seems there's a few ways to get in to sleep mode in Win 11 but I right click the Start button and from the menu, hover over "shut down or sign out" and another menu appears (on the right) and then I left click "Sleep". Coming back to it, press "any key" and you're away from there.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

it depends how often your on the computer. i generally come onto mine, do what i want to do and i`m not on it again the rest of the day, so i shut mine down completely, but if your popping back and forth to it throughout the day, then sleep mode is fine and perhaps just shut it down at the end of the day 🙂

it just works the same way as a laptop, you close the lid and it goes into sleep mode till you open the lid again.

Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent