"Help us protect your account" emails from ebay?

I have started getting emails with the above title, approximately once per month. The message inside is:

"Get a higher level of protection
Hello (my name),
It's been more than a year since you last updated your personal info.
Keeping your personal information up to date can help better protect your account.
Sounds like a good idea? All you have to do is go to eBay and take a look at your personal info to confirm that it's still correct. If you updated your personal info recently, please ignore this reminder.
Protect your account - (this is a link, to https://accountsettings.ebay.co.uk/uci?)
Sincerely,
The eBay Accounts Team"

There are sevaral curious things about this. First, the presence of a live link to account settings in the email. Surely security advice is never to click on such a link, as it is probably a scammer trying to harvest your log-in details. Second, the ? at the end of the address. I saw the address by hovering over it. Third, I didn't use the link, but instead went to ebay from my browser, went into my personal details, and found that there is no button or other obvious method there to confirm that my existing personal details are indeed correct. You can edit them, but you can't say they don't need changing.

I wonder if someone from ebay can confirm that these emails really do come from them (I assume they do as they appear in "my Messages" under "messages from ebay")? And if genuine, tell me how I "confirm that my personal info is still correct" if it actually is correct and doesn't need changing? Am I supposed to change something and then change it back again? And finally tell me why ebay is sending out emails with a link in them inviting me to log in to my account, against all the in-line security advice??

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

"Help us protect your account" emails from ebay?

I just got another of these dumb messages. "It's been more than a year since you last updated your personal info. All you have to do is go to eBay and take a look at your personal info to confirm that it's still correct."

Does no-one in ebay admin understand that there is no mechanism to confirm your personal info is still correct? If ebay want users to confirm their personal data once per year they should provide a button to do so. May I suggest:

Is you personal information still correct?  Y/N.

If your personal info has not changed in the last year then it won't have been updated in the last year. And that must be true for the vast majority of users.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent