eBay community? Nostalgia!

Just got all nostalgic for the old eBay and remembered James phoning me up and trying to tell me off!

Anybody got any more nostalgia?

Message 1 of 117
See Most Recent
116 REPLIES 116

@malacandran wrote:

We common people stayed clear of the  "Round Table". It was like an elite group. Scarily intellectual. The posts on RT were like in a different league. Intimidating in their braininess. So, few people dare post on that august Board.

Yeah, sure. With perpetual threads like Logs' 'Fick Corner', very Oxford Debating Society I must say.

Mister EMB

Message 21 of 117
See Most Recent

Remember the Friday mornings...the boards would be shut for a couple of hours for 'maintenance'. How many sat checking every wee while to see if they were back? I know I did, sometimes. It was almost a race to be first poster when they came back on.
Message 22 of 117
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah the elite group..hahaha, those were the days. The Fick corner.....................................silly stuff and loads of laughter. Some very witty people who bounced off each other. No nastiness, just daft banter.

But all the pink slaps put an end to that. The mods just didn't have a clue when things were meant serious or just meant as harmless fun. Totally devoid of a sense of humour. I think that was one of the requirements to get the job.

There were always a few night owls around as well for some middle of the night chats.

Message 23 of 117
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

But all the pink slaps put an end to that. The mods just didn't have a clue when things were meant serious or just meant as harmless fun. Totally devoid of a sense of humour. I think that was one of the requirements to get the job.

FOR THE USE OF.

Rectification download below. Please use regularly and with gusto.

Mister EMB

Message 24 of 117
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:

Would that be the James who was promoted from the community to eBays organic allotments just off St Stephens Green? Rumour has it that he turns most of his produce into wine and after imbibing in this liquor does voluntary work giving anger management classes to budding mods. I am told he had a gentle manner and cross dressed most weekends before he had his funny turn.

Am I confusing him with someone else, or didn't he also have a predilection for afternoon tea dances ?

Mister EMB

Message 25 of 117
See Most Recent

I remember when the RT was just about the busiest web page in the whole of the UK

When you could post, discuss and argue about anything and everything

The fantastic nights when we used to travel the world going from ebay board to ebay board around the Globe

also Visiting some really weird boards/groups in the US

Copper and I dropped in on the Gun nuts - scary bunch -

but they were nowhere near as scary as the complete whack-jobs, we ran into on the  'Reborn' Doll group in the US

The delectable Mod  Alexia 

Message 26 of 117
See Most Recent

Those were the days when the seller was occasionally right !!

Message 27 of 117
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

And when there were more auctions than buy it nows.

Message 28 of 117
See Most Recent

Yes, we visited US boards and the Australian, and we had a lot of visitors from abroad, too, and some were regulars. I remember making the map where IDs were linked to where they lived. A very full map 😀

We had real life get-togethers  also.

Message 29 of 117
See Most Recent

Now who remembers the thread "Weasels in my flour"?

I've forgotten her name, she never lived it down?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 30 of 117
See Most Recent

Vick Corner? Were they all inhaling it? 

There were some very imaginative IDs, The odd troll and some who could reply to ten posts at once.

Message 31 of 117
See Most Recent

@******lynda****** wrote:

Yes, we visited US boards and the Australian, and we had a lot of visitors from abroad, too, and some were regulars. I remember making the map where IDs were linked to where they lived. A very full map 😀

We had real life get-togethers  also.

The biggest real life 'Meet' of eBayers we had here at Creekyland was 40 odd including partners and children.  I don't think many, (if any), post regularly now.

Message 32 of 117
See Most Recent

Tids, weasels/ weevils 

she never lived that down, right enough

Message 33 of 117
See Most Recent

We had a meet of 40 odd including Americans and posters from the Channel Islands. I had already met quite a few but that occasion was spectacular, and I still have the pics.

Message 34 of 117
See Most Recent

TIDs famous 'there's Weasels in my flour thread', it became a bit of an Internet sensation, think it was just before Xmas as well

It was talked about and visited by People from all around the World, think every single Weasel Gif, animation and picture, must have been uploaded onto that thread, it also had some sister threads in Aus & the US

also the 1st time most of us had ever heard of  Wicked Weasel  Smiley Very Happy

Lynda, we visited every ebay board we could find, including all across Europe & Asia

Message 35 of 117
See Most Recent

True, Al, all boards were visited, but some boards were lingered on more than others, I think.

I remember the first time they changed the servers for the boards and people discovered they could use HTML in the thread titles and went mad....liveworld soon put a stop to that, though 😀 In the threads, we lost backgrounds, which spoiled some of the more decorated threads.

Message 36 of 117
See Most Recent

photo c18a3c91-1.gif

Petal
Message 37 of 117
See Most Recent

I've read the above posts. They show that some posters have admirable wit, and clearly have powerful brains.

However these RT brains aren't being used for the essential purpose - which is to buy and sell goods.

What eBay wants is not witty remarks, but solid sellers who bring in revenue from successful sales, and the fees they generate.

That's why I'm surprised that RT even continues. It doesn't generate fees, so won't it soon be got rid of?

Message 38 of 117
See Most Recent

The impending demise of the RT has been "talked about" since way back when, it was being discussed as far back as 2002.

I never thought the Q & A would get the chop but instead of dealing with troublesome posters, a certain opponent was hell-bent on destroying it. The Tech board nearly went too and it was only after heated protestations that it was allowed to remain.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 39 of 117
See Most Recent

Thanks cee-dee. Your remarks as always, are insightful . But I think RT is doomed. 

Because it does not help the buying and selling of goods on eBay. 

Message 40 of 117
See Most Recent