Would you contemplate buying shares in Royal Mail..........................

when they become available ?

This is only my opinion but in no way would I even think about it simply because of the new postal rates which I think could spark off a massive downturn in the business they think they have a monopoly of.

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Would you contemplate buying shares in Royal Mail..........................

I didn't even know they'd be coming up on offer.  The thing is, as with every other major sales pitch there is going to be a truly massive overhype.  It's going to be plugged morning, noon and night, and you will be limited to the number of shares you can buy.  You can bet your bottom dollar they're not going to come onto the market at 50p per share.  Forget the adverts in four foot high letters - READ THE SMALL PRINT.  Like BT, they will be massively over-subscribed.  Personally I wouldn't get over excited about them.  Shares generally outperform interest rates which, at the moment, aren't even worth bothering about.  It's certainly not a commodity to make a quick buck with.  Aim for an increase of 12% within one year - 10% profit for you - 2% for brokerage fees and other expenses.  Like any other big, big company, they are always looking at ways of cutting expenditures - i.e. job losses and post office closures.

Then, of course there is the final whammy - Her Majesty's Government will know EXACTLYhow you are spending your money.  Do you really want that?    All the money I have is in hard cash, and I never buy anything on my debit card.  That's why I'm such a strong advocate for bootsales - Big Brother can only hazard a guess how you're spending your money.  I pay cash only at public auctions, and even then use a nom de plume.  There's nothing illegal about that, so long as there is no intention to defraud.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent