Spy Balloons?

I guess we've all seen the news about the USA shooting down spy balloons and China saying they're only weather balloons? That is, balloons carrying instruments to monitor weather conditions.

Well now, weather balloons are nothing new because in 1954 - 56 (can't remember the exact year) I found one!! How about that?

It was comprised of a Parachute (which brought the device safely to Earth when the balloon burst) and below that was a large framework of aluminium tubes covered in Orange netting and below that was the actual device. I can't remember much about that except that it was big (it looked big to me at my age then) and cylindrical. There was a notice on it asking the finder to contact the "operators" and a post paid box would be sent for it to be returned in and for doing all that the finder would get a reward of Five Shillings (25p)!!

I forget exactly what else they wanted apart from the actual device, I forget whether it was the aluminium framework they wanted dismantling and returning or whether it was the parachute and netting. Anyway, with help from mum and dad, it was duly sent off when the box arrived and I got a Postal Order for Five shillings as a reward.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 1
See Most Recent
0 REPLIES 0