Photo hosting sites.

In view of the current possible changes to Photobucket T & C would posters care to recommend an alternative free site? Some experiences would be much appreciated not just by me but other PB users.

I've used PB almost since it started up, I used Boomspeed as well but they suddenly closed shop and all pics disappeared.

If, due to the changes to PB people desert for places new, PB might go down the pan too so I wonder if there's a place which is free and allows a certain amount of 3rd party hosting, (that is, posting the pics on forums).

OK, I've seen the lists of other sites but personal experiences and recommendations would be appreciated.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 65
See Most Recent
64 REPLIES 64

Photo hosting sites.

I used imagecave at one time, that disappeared too taking all my photos, so it looks like that's a risk with any of them.Woman Sad

Message 2 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

I've been looking at the PB blog, I'm wondering if it's to do with exceeding the bandwidth usage? This is what a PB support team member said:-

Thanks for emailing us. Your images have been replaced with the “Look who’s popular” icon because you have used 100% of your bandwidth. Your account has been restricted for excessive usage and 3rd party hosting. In order to restore your account, please upgrade to a Plus 500 subscription.

Please note that your bandwidth limit is not related to your photo storage limit – they are two different things. Your storage limit is related to how many images/videos you’re uploading to Photobucket.com. Your bandwidth limit gauges how many times someone has viewed your image.

You can remove this bandwidth cap by subscribing to a Plus 500 subscription. Plus 500 users get 500 GB of storage, unlimited linking, and unlimited 3rd party hosting benefits. To upgrade to a Plus 500 account, click your username and click on ‘Get More’ above your storage limit bar. Once you’ve completed your purchase, please email us back so we can update your account.

Thank you.

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

PB has been a dead loss for a long time, so many overlaid ads it's virtually unusable. There seems to be quite a few alternatives to choose from, don't know if anyone has tried any of them.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=free+picture+hosting&spf=1498821068001

Message 4 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Here's a link to the PB blog. It's best to read all the posts on all 5 (so far) pages. There may be more later as the USA wakes up properly?

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/comment-page-1/#comments

It seems some people have paid up but still can't access their pics after 2 days so I wonder if PB has been attacked by one of those ransomware hackers? It seems odd that a firm would take money and not reinstate immediate access? Failing a hack, might it just be that PB intend to just take as much money as possible then cut and run?

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

>> #4: PB has been a dead loss for a long time, so many overlaid ads it's virtually unusable.

I have little trouble with Photobucket at present (the free version) - fingers crossed. I use Adblock Plus with Firefox which cuts out the majority of ads on most sites, including Youtube. In Photobucket I just see the full page ad on the opening page asking me to subscribe, but it disappears after re-loading the page.  I looked at the Photobucket site with Adblock disabled (easy to do with a middle click on the Adblock icon on my toolbar) and I do agree the ads are excessive.  Which reminds me, I must send a thank-you donation to the Adblock developer...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/?src=ss

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/

Message 6 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Fortunately all still seems fine for me using the free version of PB. When I reached the free limit a few years ago I just saved all on file then. I started a new free account with PB. I use it daily as I run a private forum, store forum banners in PB. If for any reason I do get a problem, I have another free site that I use - Imgur. 

Thank you for the mention of this problem for some. I will save many of the pictures, and banners to Imgur and into my laptop files, just in case my PB starts to play up. 

Message 7 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Smiley Happyhmmm

Petal
Message 8 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Thank you, because of this thread I have been reminded I have a PB account that I haven't visited for at least 4 years. Oh how it has changed.

Message 9 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

I was hoping that the thread would produce some experiences of other sites as the searches turn up some conflicting results.

Just checked, my storage on PB is 10% full so just testing the HTML tab:-

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

I stopped using PB, when eBay made it easy to upload pics directly from my PC years ago

Once I've posted pic on here, I just delete it from my PC

(If i don't want to keep it)

Message 11 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

No-one coming forward with some experiences of and recommendations for other photo hosting sites?

Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

I have used both Imgur & Tinypic and never had any problems with these 2 photo hosting sites.

Message 13 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

This from across the pond
There is a free hosting service where "Direct linking (hotlinking) is allowed, even encouraged, with no restrictions. Use Village.Photos to manage your eBay sales, to post your images on EZ Boards, vBulletin systems or other forums. Embed them or link them into your marketing email blasts, and more."
Just google village.photos
Message 14 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Tinypic is run by photobucket so if the proposed charges by PB are set in stone now, will Tinypic be sure to follow suit?

Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Here's a BBC link about PB:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

I would like some recommendations too, CD.  I have mainly animated gifs in my PB account and don't know how to move them.  Unlike photos, I can't download them and then upload them somewhere else, as the downloading freezes the animated aspect ... which kinda loses the point.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/kirenzi/not%20pleased/th_nea.gif

Message 17 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

To copy an animated gif you need to right click and "save as" making sure the file type is ".gif". Decide where it's going on your computer (usually somewhere in Documents and pick the folder where you want it to go) then click "save".

Once it's safe on your computer you can then put it on some other hosting site.

Live long and prosper.

Message 18 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Much obliged, CD.  I will have a go.  I am on a Chromebook so do not usually save things onto it, but I will experiment with your instructions.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/kirenzi/comms/th_pcfite.gif?t=1294338153

Message 19 of 65
See Most Recent

Photo hosting sites.

Pleased to report partial success! cheerleader.gif

They come out tiny and against a black background, so are not easy to see or identify, but they are moving.  Gonna take a heck of a long time to do my whole collection though.

Message 20 of 65
See Most Recent