One Swallow does not a Summer make.

I've been looking out for the Swallows, House Martins and Swifts but have not seen any.

I've read reports of large numbers of Swallows being killed/shot in Egypt so I've been concerned not to have seen any so far this year, have you seen any?

A few minutes ago I went to the door looking out and there were the Swifts, four of them (two pairs?) swooping around obviously enjoying flight.

Perhaps the Swallows and House Martins will also soon arrive?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Maybe the strange weather this year has confused them.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Our house Martins have not arrived either Margaret. My sister's swallows have arrived...she lives about a mile away from me. They arrived about two weeks ago. I miss the Martins wheeling about when it's a nice sunny day.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

I saw my first swallow on the 10th April however numbers are down so far this year and all should have arrived by now! I put it down to the difficulties of migrating through Africa and the loss of habitat here. Sand and House martins have similar issues, you only have to look to north Norfolk where the council placed nets on the cliffs to prevent sand martins from returning to their nests.
It is also true that birds are regularly shot with Malta and Cyprus being responsible for the killing of thousands of birds followed closely by the Lebanon, as if they don’t have enough to cope with!!!
Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

One of my neighbours told me today that there are some Martins here that arrived last week, but there are still none nesting at the house near me, where they usually nest. ☹️

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

My sister's Martins have arrived! She lives 12 doors down from me. But the ones from 4 doors down, which I always think of as 'mine' because they are the nearest, are still not here. I'm still hoping, as we have some nice weather coming in?

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Still a bit cold for them I reckon. 🤔
Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent