Money Laundering on eBay

It seems Money Laundering is not something that eBay is at all concerned about.

There is not one link or avenue I can find to report my findings:

If I could find an email for eBay I would email them, but I cant find any way of contacting them about it:

I was looking through the completed listings for chairs when I found one **bleep**py one for an extrordinarily high price !

I won't post the item number, in case I get recriminations, but if you look for yourself under "auction" items, "completed listings": highest price first, you'll find it as sold !!

If you dig a bit deeper, you'll also find other things out that confirm my suspicions. 

Why is eBay not at all bothered at this, I've seen this before as well:

eg: A NEW BMW, 1.0litre, no picture, but listed and actually bought by another member for £100,000.

Is no-one else bothered either, there are no discussions about this??

Message 1 of 45
See Most Recent
44 REPLIES 44

Money Laundering on eBay

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

One has to remember that just because we see a price on screen that an auction has ended at this doesn't mean that a transaction has actually taken place!

I've known people ask others to bid an unusually high price on an auction to make sure it does not sell to anyone else, because they changed their mind about the sale or accepted an offer elsewhere. Can't be sure of the reasons for such over-priced items but it is not necessarily as nefarious as some would like to think! Can be as simple as people playing Silly-Buggers!

Message 21 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

@rose2008-2008 wrote:

Its always very annoying that you can never seem to e.mail sites like Facebook or E,bay directly. Its wrong you should be able too. Its almost like they dont want to have to sort out important findings. Like Facebook (although thats not money orientated). You tell them that a member of society is on there who should not be and they are just not interested.!!!!!!!!!!. Things need to be changed.

You say you can't email them and yet say "you tell them that a member of society is on there who should not be". So it would appear a method of contact has been found!

Perhaps they are not interested because their opinion of someone who does not belong on there does not match yours. Personally if I have a problem with anyone on Facebook I stay away!

Message 22 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

If one looks at the listings using "completed" listings, if the price is green, then it has been sold (or just under "sold" listings), unless the seller files a transaction cancellation request and agrees with the buyer, so as to get the final value fee recredited, otherwise 10% commission is payable to ebay.

As others have said, perhaps it's difficult for ebay to put together sufficient evidence, and the time it would take also.

On a slightly different angle to this:

Recently I saw 3 diggers for sale, up on BIN and less than half price (eg £3k instead of £7-8k): a new member, all 3 diggers were very new, within hours they had gone, I mean GONE, the seller had removed the listings and any reference to them ( unless ebay really did do something about it ! ), obviously stolen or trying to subvert a hold on his assets. Perhaps not particularly suspicious, except somehow the seller managed to make his listings so if you found one digger, you couldn't click on his "other items for sale" by this seller and see the other two diggers - so you wouldn't know he was selling 3 all at once.

Googling the person's name ( not very well hidden! ) - I find one of the same name prosecuted for similar offences some years ago, running into debts of 100,000s to his suppliers !

This sharp practice brings down other, honest, businesses and tradespeople.

Message 23 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Recently I saw 3 diggers for sale, up on BIN and less than half price (eg £3k instead of £7-8k): a new member, all 3 diggers were very new, within hours they had gone, I mean GONE, the seller had removed the listings and any reference to them ( unless ebay really did do something about it ! ), obviously stolen or trying to subvert a hold on his assets.

Or more probably an attempted scam where the seller cons the buyer into paying by an unsafe method for items which don't actually exist.

That's why the price is so low, to persuade a non savvy buyer who thinks they are grabbing a bargain and acts rashly.

One other reason why you sometimes see normally low priced goods advertised at silly high prices is because the seller has run out of stock and wants to keep their place in search untill new stock arrives, they inflate the price to stop people buying.

Money Laundering on eBay

They money launder by putting up fake items they dont evne have , and multiple of them , like a belt to 15 dollars , then they sell 500 of those on one add and same on other ads of the same belt , say they put up 10 listnings of the same belt , after people buy them , they just cancel the orders and gives excuse oh we dont have that size or that belt in stock , this gives them evidence to the government that they have sold things on ebay , they can show those receits and claim this is where their illegal criminal money comes from to the goverment , but they delete and never show that the order was canceld and never went through, this isa BIG BIG FLAW by ebay sites and can be exploited , they need to have thieir own ebay police to research people who stop orders to a high degree like this and stop them , but clearly ebay dont do that or minitor sellers who does this , its a big big sham , ebay needs to do something about this and take big action against criminal elements who uses their site for this scaming filth.

Message 25 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Saw a seller on ebay today - multiple items for sale, all claiming to be pocket calculators. all with no images  and one line descriptions like:

"for parts" - £2699

"New in packaging, packaging a bit tatty". - £3000

"not believed to work" - £2499

The average price for the same model calculators from other sellers is under £10

This seller has 19 of these type of items, interspersed with 3 apparently legitimate calculators.

There is clearly something going on here but e-bay seem to have their fingers in their ears as I can see no way to report it.  If you click on the "Report Item" link all the options lead you to irrelvent issues.  

Message 26 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Ebay used to be really good about 10 years ago, now it's like a lottery for sellers.

Lot of hassle for this seller?:-

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2017/03/28/buyer-of-rare-5-note-belonging-to-telford-man-fails-to...

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 27 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Message 28 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

^^^^^^^

What a well thought out and reasoned argument; I'm so glad that you were able to spare the time and effort needed to type all those words....Thank you.

Message 29 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Loads of threads to pick from and some just have to dig one up that's years old?

Live long and prosper.

Message 30 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

It's a newbie's first post, and blank, so perhaps they just hit reply by mistake.  Easy to do on a phone perhaps?

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 31 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Anyway, gizza yer money CD and I'll head for the airport launderette grin

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 32 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

What's a poor poster to do do?

They are probably just testing, if they had chosen to use a new thread then they'd probably have had some agro because of that tooSmiley Sad

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 33 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

No aggro, just wondering why someone can't string a few words together to say hello or join in?

New ID yes, but a "new" person?

Live long and prosper.

Message 34 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Does it REALLY matter CD?

Ive posted a couple of times like that by mistake while using my mobile phone, not meaning to but it just happened and because I'm not clever enough with the phone I can't delete it or edit so just either have to leave it or apologise for the error.

Must stop jumping to conclusions, Woman Happy that is really one of my minor irritations, so I suppose I should go put that on the other thread.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 35 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Guilty conscience huh?

Live long and prosper.

Message 36 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Not really no. Xx

There is no reason why I should have one, but I never have a problem with owning up to a mistake if it is pointed out to me. Xx. Unlike some xx I don't have a problem apologising for anything should it be warranted either. Xx
++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 37 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Got you going now? laughingsunglasses

Live long and prosper.

Message 38 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

In what way what for cd xx

Actually yes you have, im just waiting to go xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 39 of 45
See Most Recent

Money Laundering on eBay

Have you two hijacked my Original Post ?? Man Wink

But Glad to see people have resurrected my 2013 post.....the money laundering is still going on, and I'm sure the launderers are happy to pay the 10% ebay commission.

I bet The guy who sold his fiver for 60k had loads of hassle from ebay to pay the £6k commission.

Message 40 of 45
See Most Recent