Looked in on SPOTY?

Blimey, don't they go on?

I asked "Looked in?" because heck, they're waffling and waffling on and on.

People will get fed up waiting to vote and when they do open the vote, will the lines and/or the website crash?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Looked in on SPOTY?

Well it all ended in an oxymoron for the third time!

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

I didn't watch the show but the result doesn't surprise me. Read the opening paragraph of this wiki page and tell me another sportsman who has achieved as much as Andy Murray this year. A well deserved honour in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Andy_Murray_tennis_season

Oxymoron? Pah!

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Still, personality and Andy Murray doesn't immediately spring to mind.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

I agree with your sentiments there Marge, so perhaps it should be the sporting achiever of the year awards, just to avoid any confusion😇
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Had the same discusssion when he won in 2013 & 2015.  They aren't likely to give it away to someone who hasn't won anything, so they are obviously recognising sporting achievements. Why bring personalities into it?

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

I heard something on tv about it.

it said it should be achievements, not personality.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Yes creeky, I think that Mo would have been a good choice, especially after he won one of his gold medals even after falling over, and he has a big personality.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Ellie Simmonds, swimmer. That smile would brighten anyone's day. She has oodles of personality!

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Why do people insist on trotting out the same old **bleep**py argument about personality year after year?

It only takes a person with half a brain to appreciate that as well as meaning a combination of characheristic and qualities, personality also means a celebrity or famous person. So the award is for the top sporting celebrity of the year.

No too damn difficult to grasp surely!

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

I start off by admitting that I have a bias towards Tennis, because I've played it at a reasonably high level for most of my life.........and still do ( so I know what it takes ). However, as has been said, the waters are muddied every year by the word " personality " instead of just calling it Sports person of the year. People just love their  " personalities "......" celebrities "........" stars " etc. etc. People who they can revere as gods, instead of just admiring them for exemplary achievements; which may have been achieved for the first time in history, or for many many years. Since winning it last time, Andy Murray has won Wimbledon AGAIN, he's become the first world number 1 this country has EVER had in the new era and the first EVER to win the end of year " Barclays ATP world tour finals " a tournament that is only made up of the worlds top 8 players..........and he did this UNDEFEATED..........at a time in history, when he has had to compete with probably the three greatest Tennis players that have lived, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal.  Now, everybody has their favourites; but on achievement alone; you can't better Andy Murray.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Looked in on SPOTY?

Not forgetting his second Olympic title.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent