Last Nights BBC Programme The Hospital

If you did not see it then I recommend you do so on the Iplayer. It was an interesting insight into the comings and goings at Paddington St Mary's Hospital, a real fly on the wall documentary that throws some light on to te problems faced by our NHS. It mirrors my own experience within the system which is truly heading towards breaking point. Despite this, staff continue to do their best while consultants turn up for operations that cannot take place due to a lack of intensive care beds, To see so many highly paid and highly skilled Consultants sitting around awaiting a bedspace is soul destroying. The amount of money spent on the NHS needs to be rechannelled into the areas of greatest need and we as the general public need to stop abusing the system simply because it is free. I am proud of our NHS but without change will it last into the 22nd century?

Message 1 of 50
See Most Recent
49 REPLIES 49

No 1 story on todays BBC News - Beggars Belief!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38680031

Message 41 of 50
See Most Recent

Here is a different take on the subject which as we drift inexorably towards our dotage is well worth a read.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/12/avoid-bed-blocker-nhs-mi...
Message 42 of 50
See Most Recent

She reminds me of the stoical breed that were worth a " toss ".  The sort that were embarrassed to take up too much time in a public phone box ( when we had them ) if there were people waiting. The sort that would take their turn and join the BACK of the queue. The sort that would never let good food go to waste. The sort that would suffer in silence, always believing that there were others worse off. Jesus Christ haven't this species progressed so much...........the WRONG way........but would they EVER admit it.......never in a million years......I can hear the excuses now.....never ending.

Message 43 of 50
See Most Recent

Perhaps it's all to do with the take, take, take society we now live in. One where success is measured by your ability to screw something out of someone, The guy who blocked a bed for two years cannot be named because of patient confidentiality. In my view he and his family ought to be hung out to dry and shamed for what they have done, If we continue down the road we are travelling on we will reap what we have sown.
Message 44 of 50
See Most Recent

Too many people..that's what's gone wrong. This is an overpopulated island, and yet more people are continually arriving. Too many people.

Message 45 of 50
See Most Recent

A friend had to have an X-ray on Jan 4th at the local hospital, at the request of her GP. She has called the surgery several times to see if the results have come back....nothing. This morning, she she called again, but spoke to a different person. Still no results. So my friend queried why it takes so long to get results back from a local hospital. 'Because they have to come from Morocco' , she was told.

Yes....MORROCCO! Apparently, X-rays are sent to Morocco for diagnosis. How ridiculous is that? Is there no one in this country that can look at X-rays and diagnose? Probably yet more outsourcing of services, done on the cheap. The NHS is doomed.

Message 46 of 50
See Most Recent

Why Morocco........because they want the best results possible and in Morocco they always look on the sunny side Smiley Indifferent...........plus they're all high on weed, so probably forget to bill the NHS for services rendered.

Message 47 of 50
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:

Too many people..that's what's gone wrong. This is an overpopulated island, and yet more people are continually arriving. Too many people.

We are indeed an overpopulated island, an island whose NHS spends £400 million a year on IVF treatment.  I find that an appalling waste of resources when there are so many children needing adoption. Another reminder that we live in a world of 'must haves' where nobody is content with the hand they are dealt.

Smiley Mad 

Message 48 of 50
See Most Recent

This program continues to interest each week. A good idea which has emerged, to combat health tourism, is that those that have to apply for a visa; to enter the UK, should be required to present a valid and current certificate of health insurance.........no certificate......no visa. I know this isn't a new concept, but now a senior consultant ( and many others ) are openly talking about it and backing the concept. Even those that wish to visit briefly, for holidays or whatever, have to have health insurance. I appreciate there will be this and that exception and moans and groans about this being unfair to this or that person or group, but unless somebody does something; instead of talking the problem to death, things won't get any better

Message 49 of 50
See Most Recent

Well it was back on tonight and for those who missed it, it commenced with the effects of the London Bridge attack, the way they responded was fantastic, and to see some of the injuries was also very sobering. Yet again our much maligned health service stands proud and I for one salute all who work in it.
Message 50 of 50
See Most Recent