Fifty years ago today.

Fifty years ago today the Marine Broadcasting Offences Act saw off the original pirate radio stations.

Seems they've gone "legal". Will they do any good? ie will they prosper?

http://news.sky.com/story/radio-rebels-go-straight-pirate-station-caroline-gets-a-licence-10987940

Did anyone on here listen to the original pirates? One-nine-nine, CAROLINE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYmTJ9uA5AQ

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Fifty years ago today.

Yes !    I listened to them all the time.

In fact an ex (who was rather wealthy) had all the ham equipment in his spare bedroom so he could actually contact them direct.  Even had a hugh radio pilon thingy in the back garden.

Plus he used to go to the coast....hire a light aircraft and pilot and drop them supplies. 

Thinking about it....the above was all prob illegal lol

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

Sorry my post was in relation to Radio Caroline.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

Yes I also listened in to radio Caroline, the big L radio London, Radio 365, and the last of them radio North Sea international. There were some notable djs who later became household names, The Emporer Roscoe, Tony Blackburn, Kid jenson, Ed Stewart, while others started on Radio Luxembourg which used to fade in and out on the wireless! Oh happy days!
Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

I knew of it, and it having to move around a bit to prevent detection I think it was but I was far too young to bother with it.

You were more likely to find me up a tree lol. 

I did get to love the music scene though. 

As for now I'm not interested in radio much so it doesn't really matter to me what happens to it but I'm sure it serves a purpose.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

Yes I remember listening in when Radio Caroline first went on air. I spent the Summer of '64 in Norfolk working with my uncle,  I think they were anchored off Felixtowe in the early days so reception there was excellent.  There were no dedicated pop music stations around before Caroline other than Luxembourg which led to a lot of knob twiddling trying to find a signal. It still took the BBC more than 3 years to finally come up with Radio 1 and I think that was mainly because they were losing so many listeners to the pirate outfits.

Happy days slight_smile

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

You are very close with Felixstowe JD but it was actually Walton on the naze. I too spent many happy summers in Norfolk eventually moving there as it was my fathers home. But of course there was also Radio Caroline north which I believe was in the Irish Sea, although I am certain CD will be able to confirm exactly where?
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

fallen, Radio Caroline North was anchored in Ramsey Bay, Isle of Man.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

Correct.

One of the DJs I didn't care for was Mick Luvzit (!!!!!!). He was mad on "original versions" and some of them were absolutely awful.

Daffy Don Allen was OK, Jerry Leighton too but these days no-one seems to mention Ugly Ray Teret (the Ugly Bug Ball), probably because of associations with JS and that he's currently in jail......

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

Thanks for that clarification DC, I thought it was the IOM for their sins the Island got Manx Radio when the pirates were outlawed famous for the Mannin Line programme which was a bit like listening to the old Q&A on here. 😩
Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Fifty years ago today.

I remember listening to radio luxembourg in bed on my transistor, and it fading in and out all the time.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent