Are we allowed to mention this news?

Ordeal of OAP who quipped 'I'm not Muslim' at airport security after he was stopped: Man spends six months facing racism charges before case is finally dropped

• Paul Griffith was stopped at Stansted airport on his way to Malaga 
  • The 75-year-old was asked to take his shoes off before he made the remark 
  • Airport staff called police and on his return from Spain he was arrested 
  • But 24 hours before appearing in court the CPS dropped all charges
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

What a ridiculous waste of time and money.

Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England, Frank Ferguson said: 'Following receipt of the evidential file a full review of the evidence took place.

'In order to successfully prosecute a charge of racially or religiously aggravated disorderly conduct, we first have to show that the language used was threatening or abusive and in these particular circumstances we could not show that to the high criminal standard required.' 

I would have thought that was very clear from the outset.  No need to faff about for 6 months.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

That sounds like something Prince Philip would come out with LOL

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Smiley LOL 

The CPS wouldn't have given him grief and stress for 6 months!

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

No...but the press would Woman LOL

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Cannot remember the last time I flew abroad when I did not have to take off my shoes, it applies to all and is for the safety of all.
The utterance made by the pensioner was misjudged but he like I am from a generation where freedom of expression was fought for. That freedom has been removed by a raft of sensitive measures which make it impossible to express oneself without first considering whether your words might be inflammatory or offensive to one minority or another. Perhaps that in itself is not a bad thing but it also requires the reeducation of an entire generation who never set out to offend in the first place.
Should we talk about it on here? I suppose that depends upon which generation controls the unacceptable button, on past history the answer is yes providing the debate remains constructive. That might be too big an ask.
Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:
Cannot remember the last time I flew abroad when I did not have to take off my shoes, it applies to all and is for the safety of all.
The utterance made by the pensioner was misjudged but he like I am from a generation where freedom of expression was fought for. That freedom has been removed by a raft of sensitive measures which make it impossible to express oneself without first considering whether your words might be inflammatory or offensive to one minority or another. Perhaps that in itself is not a bad thing but it also requires the reeducation of an entire generation who never set out to offend in the first place.
Should we talk about it on here? I suppose that depends upon which generation controls the unacceptable button, on past history the answer is yes providing the debate remains constructive. That might be too big an ask.

Not sure about that. I think it's pretty obvious when someone's MO is to demonise or scapegoat an entire racial or religious group.

The generation before yours can tell you where that can lead....

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

An example of the next rule making generation can be seen once a week as they battle it out on The Apprentice, what will that learned bunch of self confident luvvies demand from us next?
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Dunno. They're probably all too busy watching reality TV to care.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Ah yes, the curse of the Wanabe, Life coaches tell them they must believe in their own ability, that they are winners and they will be famous.
That's all it takes apparently.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

@*.*..lola..*.* wrote:

That sounds like something Prince Philip would come out with LOL

It does..

He would probably say... "I'm not a slanty eyed Muslim"

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

On the other hand, He might be very diplomatic and say something like " Oh yes, I think we had one of those as a House Boy during our state visit to Kuala Lumpur".

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

The Ancient Greek is 93 years old, why should he change his ways at this stage of his life? I love the eccentricity of it all and if others chilled a bit they might see the funny side too.
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent