And now for something completely different....

Pythonism ! Well we already have Darwinism, now we have Pythonism.

Today is the ' The Great British Cigarette Debacle'. It's the day when, by law, all cigarettes in places where these are sold, must be hidden behind closed doors. No longer will you be able to see these displayed, since the reason behind this is because (apparently) kids find the packets attractive. How they arrive at this theory, is beyond me. I personally, have never found a ciggie packet particularly aesthetic, in fact I've always thought they were all rather bland and uninteresting. And they're certainly not very nice now, with images of blocked arteries and rotting teeth. I don't ever recall seeing a pack with a picture of a 'celebrity' or sportsman, a cartoon character or an Avatar, a nice psychedelic or floral pattern on them. Still, the teenagers find them appealing so it seems.

From today you are not allowed to ask a shopkeeper which are the cheapest brand, because they are not meant to tell you. Some shop owners know which brand of smokes a particular customer buys, and will automatically take them from the shelf without them asking for them. Well not any longer. If they do so, they are breaking the law. They have also been issued with minute price stickers to place over the existing ones. This is because customers are not permitted to actually see the prices, only the person serving them. At the bottom of the sliding doors there is a strip of metal. This is designed to prevent toddlers from looking up and viewing the contents. (Assuming the sprogs can manage to get behind the counter in the first place, of course).

The next salute is that they are thinking of making all cigarette packets plain, which sort of makes all of the above a tad silly. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. And I haven't. This was told to me by the manageress of my local 'Supernews'. Now you may think this was all an edict by the Health & Safety nannies. Not so. It was issued by Comedy Dave and his band of Crackpots.

When you think that a teenager could walk into any supermarket, remove a bottle of Vodka from the shelf, and neck it on the spot if the mood takes them, it makes all of this nonsense above even more ridiculous. Truly, the world has gone bonkers.

Mister EMB

Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

Historically the gorilla has been portrayed as a vicious killer; however they are shy gentle creatures that would not attack humans unless provoked. In the wild their only predators are leopards, which can attack vulnerable youngsters and the biggest threat to gorillas is man. In recent decades gorilla populations have been affected by habitat loss, disease and poaching. Subsequently all gorilla species are classified as endangered. 

Silverbacks
Are large adult males with distinctive silver coloured hair on their back. This is developed through maturity and is usually present on male Gorilla’s over 12 years of age. An adult silverback can weigh over 180 kg and is the biggest and heaviest of all living primates. As the leader of the group the dominant silverback is in charge of protecting its troop from predators or rival silverbacks, displaying a broad chest and large canine teeth when threatened. The dominant silverback is also in charge of finding good places to forage for food and safe places to rest and sleep. If the dominant silverback dies then a troop will disband and form new groups.

In all the studies I have read there have been no references to attenton seeking, Silverbacks are not known for for being aggressive  but they are endangered through Disease and more importantly the impact of man acting unreasonably and being unprepared to share the planet with creatures who do not meet their own vision of perfection and acceptability. Bit like forums in a way. But that has been well documented already.

Message 21 of 34
See Most Recent

.......being unprepared to share the planet with creatures who do not meet their own vision of perfection and acceptability. Bit like forums in a way. But that has been well documented already.

And something you've proved time out of number.

Male gorillas have weak social bonds, particularly in multiple-male groups with apparent dominance hierarchies.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 22 of 34
See Most Recent

The Aries Male
The Aries man is excited by new places and new friends. He enjoys meeting people, engaging in quick-witted dialogue, and offering up the occasional tall tale.

As excellent a conversationalist as the Aries man can be, he may be found lacking in discretion and tact. Don't ask this man a question if you're not ready for an honest answer because he tells it like it is, without regard for its consequence. This trait has strangers finding him somewhat aggressive and maybe even a little bossy.

When it comes to advice, the Aries man is quick to give, but not so eager to receive. Aries men love to be "in the know", and the first to know as well!

Happy Birthday may your day be full of good deeds and pleasant experiences and yes I envy your ability to bond with other Males although I do have a preference for the fairer sex, Well spotted.
Message 23 of 34
See Most Recent

"........Male gorillas in all-male groups, though, tend to have friendly interactions and socialize through play, grooming, and staying together, and occasionally they even engage in homosexual interactions......."

Live long and prosper.

Message 24 of 34
See Most Recent

It will be a killer, and a chiller, and a thriller, when I get the gorilla in Manila.

Muhammad Ali
Message 25 of 34
See Most Recent

Are you having a laugh ? Have you never heard of 'Alcoholics Annonymous' ? Are there no 'Drink & Drugs' clinics/centres in your area ?

I am perfectly aware of the possibility of people becoming addicted to alcohol, I've known alcoholics including one who stopped drinking but couldn't stop smoking and died from lung cancer.

My point was that of the people who drink alcohol only some may become addicted if they drink regularly whereas once a person starts smoking it is rare that addiction doesn't follow.

Plus alcohol can be drunk in small amounts without harm whereas there is no such thing as light smoking, it's just as harmful.

There's no-one more anti-smoking than a reformed smoker.

It's a fact that some people can drink all their lives and live to a great age and the same goes for some smokers.

Live long and prosper.

Message 27 of 34
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I always find this debate quite funny in a way.

Sugar is the biggest cause of cancer. Cancer cells just love it. They thrive on it.

NO warnings about that.....Oh yes, replace it with sweeteners, which also cause cancer and a whole lot of other illnesses.

But hey ho, as long as we can keep the focus on the smokers no one will  have to look at other stuff.

Keep herding the sheep in one direction.

Wake up people.

Message 28 of 34
See Most Recent

Our local supermarket has had a folder on the counter which customers may browse, listing all the cig and tobacco stocked, along with prices.

Will this also have to now be removed?

Message 29 of 34
See Most Recent

@bankhaunter wrote:

My point was that of the people who drink alcohol only some may become addicted if they drink regularly whereas once a person starts smoking it is rare that addiction doesn't follow.

I disagree that smoking is more addictive than the consumption of alcohol, as you suggest. In fact I would say that they are both equally addictive - albeit not to any great extent (in most cases). Check out the number of wine bottles in shopping trolleys.

No JBM, this is because the assistants are not permitted now to verbally tell customers the prices or the brands they sell. I haven't yet seen this list you speak of in the supermarkets here, but I don't patronise the cigarette kiosks in supermarkets, so they very well may do so. However in three tobacconists that I know, they are refusing to comply with this stupid law, and if a customer asks which are the cheapest, or which brands they sell, they will tell them. They also still serve a customer that they know with their particular brand without them asking, something else they are not allowed to do. You could crack a rib laughing at these ridiculous and insane laws.

It seems that everyone who enjoys a cigarette is classed as a leper these days, to the exclusion of all else. No smoking in pubs, clubs, caffs, restaurants, public transport, etc, not a problem with that. Our bus station is a huge edifice of a place. The roof is probably 60/70 ft to the apex, you could almost class it as being outdoors, because it's open both ends to the four winds. If there is the slightest breeze blowing, it's like a wind tunnel. However, don't you dare attempt to light a ciggie up in there. Meanwhile, there's a couple of buses spewing out poisonous carbon monoxide. You can't smoke, but you can sit in there and throw cans of Stella down your throat until you become completely off your face and unconscious.

You really couldn't script these stupid and idiotic laws, brought into being by the Non Smoking Clan. They've achieved what they wanted by banning smoking indoors, on public transport, etc, and they're still not satisfied. Nor will they be until they have banned smoking in the street and parks. In fact it's probably being discussed as I'm typing this.

Mister EMB

Message 30 of 34
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they don't want people to smoke then stop selling the stuff.

2012-13

Source: HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) / TMA This table shows the revenue raised through the sale of all tobacco products in the UK. The source for the excise duty is HMRC while the VAT is a TMA estimate.

Excise     VAT  £ billion     Total

9.7           2.6                      12.3

18 March 2015

Responding to today’s Budget announcement, Giles Roca, Director General of the Tobacco Manufacturers’ Association (TMA), said:

“The decision to increase tobacco duties by 2% above inflation is simply a continuation of a failing tobacco tax policy, which according to the OBR is now expected to deliver around £6bn less in revenue over the course of the next Parliament. At the same time the illegal market is clearly growing as price conscious consumers seek cheaper products elsewhere. The illegal market cost HM Treasury £2.1bn in 2013/14 and whilst we recognise the Government’s commitment to a renewed Anti-Illicit Tobacco strategy, further tax rises will simply undermine these efforts.”

“The announcement of further tax rises is compounded by the Government’s decision to push ahead with plain packaging of tobacco products. The regulations make no allowance for the continued use of an on-pack security and authentication tool which has been voluntarily developed and implemented by industry and is now being used by HM Revenue & Customs. We said all along that plain packaging will be a gift to the criminal gangs who wish to flood the UK market with cheap, counterfeit tobacco and the Government is helping to make this a reality.”

According to HMRC’s Measuring Tax Gaps Report , in 2013/14 the illicit tobacco market cost the Government £2.1bn in lost taxes, an increase of £500m on 2011/12 figures.

Example of Pre-Budget prices of cigarettes & hand rolling tobacco

Typical pack of 20 premium cigarettes
UK £ 8.99
Spain £ 3.78
Poland £ 2.74

Hand rolling tobacco (50gr)
UK £ 18.09
Belgium £ 5.79

Message 31 of 34
See Most Recent

'If they don't want people to smoke then stop selling the stuff'.

Mmmmmmm...really can't think why. *puts thinking cap on*

Nope. I'm stumped.

Mister EMB

Message 32 of 34
See Most Recent

Well, it's easy. Suppose you want to buy a packet of of cigarettes.

And go into a supermarket, in order to buy them.

When you get to the counter, you'll find you can't actually see the cigarettes.  Because they're hidden, behind a sliding door.

So, obviously, this will make you go away baffled,  and consequently stop smoking

Message 33 of 34
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course. Why did I not think of that. I never went to private school, so what can you expect. Smiley LOL

Message 34 of 34
See Most Recent