12th August.

This year the Glorious Twelfth coincides with the Peak of the Perseids meteor shower. I wonder if the forecast clear sky will materialise even though the Moon will be a bit of a problem?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

12th August.

hi.gifAhhhh Yes We Could All Have A Peek Tomorrow

Petal
Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

Moon's too full, this year

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

I dunno about meteor shower, around hear it will be lead shot everywhere!
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

It's never clear enough here to see anything in the sky.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

Same my side too. Rare as well to even see any stars at night. 

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

You have too much light pollution?

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

More rain, cloud pollution, it's raining here now.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

The sun's in and out here now because some clouds have appeared.

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

A few years ago I spent an hour sat on my doorstep looking up at this display. I lived in a remote part of Shetland and there was no light pollution. I love the night sky and and its majesty, but the Perseid meteor shower was a disappointment.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

The sky is forecast to be cloudy here until 1am so it probably won't be much of a display. slight_frown

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

I wonder why you regarded it as a disappontment?

If there was a dark sky (no light pollution) and it was clear without a Moon, at the peak of the shower you should have seen a lot of meteors.

The shower peaks tonight but there have been some Perseid meteors since the middle of July. At any time of the year there are random meteors which can be seen at any time given a dark clear sky. All you have to do is simply look at the night sky. The thing is, they "happen" all over the sky and if you don't happen to be looking "that" way, you've missed one.

Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

Yes I was really surprised as well; perhaps what you said holds true. I just kept looking the wrong way at the wrong time and simply catching the end of each flash, but there wasn't many meteors to say "well, that was an hour well spent." Clear skies here tonight, so perhaps I can give it another go, but there's a lot more light pollution around here.

I once spent an hour in the midst of winter (following the works Christmas Do) in my remote cottage in Shetland just staring up at the horizon to horizon view of the Milky Way....... that has to be the most astonishing thing I've ever seen. So I do love the night skies, even when it's freezing cold!

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

I'm still puzzled as to why you only caught a poor show. Were you observing at the peak?

Some meteors are very brief, a quick streak of light but others are "slow" (in comparison) and seem to "linger".

The most common are White or Red but some are Green or Blue.

I'm not out at night now so don't get much of an opportunity to see many meteors but I still see some just looking through my window.

Live long and prosper.

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

I didn't see any of the multi-coloured ones. They were white and simply flashed across the sky in the blink of an eye. It would have been in 2010 and the Moon was 2 days from new, so skies were dark. There were no street lights and the nearest neighbour was 100m away so no light pollution from other houses. I do recall saying "oh, there's one..... it's gone!" and then a few minutes later, "there's another.... it's gone!" and it went on like that.

I was unlucky enough to have only ever seen the Northern Lights once and then they were white. Not the multicolured displays you seen in pictures and on TV. But I did spend night after night looking at the planets including the moons of Jupiter, Andromeda Galaxy and even ISS as it moved slowly across the night sky through a pair of powerful binoculars I bought. I once saw 6 planets in one go - Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter and of course the one I was stood on, Earth!

I could often view the night skies through the velux windows in my house, so I didn't even have to spend the night in the cold. Unfortunately in mid-summer, very little was observable, because the night skies never went completely dark for about 6-8 weeks

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

It's raining ️ here, no chance of seeing anything.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

The West Midlands never seems to have anything visible.  

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

12th August.

That's because there's too much light pollution for a start. If there's any moisture in the air or clouds, the light pollution (and/or a visible Moon) causes it to "glow" rendering things in the night sky to be less visible (or invisible).

Live long and prosper.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent