What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us about the book which you're enjoying.  Why is it so enjoyable?  We all like different things so your impression of a book is helpful. 

I added many of the books, which were recommended on the previous thread, to my reading list, based on the poster's comments.

I've been having a crime-fest.  The most recent are ...

Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - I don't really like Brit-cop books - too depressing - and this was no exception.  (What is it with British cops?)  However, apart from some mistakes which should never have got past a decent editor, it was very readable with a good, if meandery, storyline.

The HIdden Man by David Ellis - This author has been likened to John Grisham crossed with Harlen Coben.  Being a fan of both, I poo-pooed this idea.  That was, until I read the book.  How wrong I was!  It is a gripping, fast read and deserves the comparison.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 169
See Most Recent
168 REPLIES 168

I'm currently reading Vicky Angel by Jacqueline Wilson 🙂 I love all of her books so much 🙂
Message 101 of 169
See Most Recent

I am actually reading a book that i thought would never be interesting but my friend has persuaded me and given me the set of 3!!!!!!!!!!!!. 

50 SHADES OF GREY

Message 102 of 169
See Most Recent

Just finished reading "House Of Bones" It was a real page turner, never read a book as fast. Found it quite scary and as I was reading it, my mobile rang and I jumped out of my skin!

Message 103 of 169
See Most Recent

@rose2008-2008 wrote:

I am actually reading a book that i thought would never be interesting but my friend has persuaded me and given me the set of 3!!!!!!!!!!!!. 

50 SHADES OF GREY

I've read them Rose; there's something compelling about them where you can't not read them, if you know what I mean.

Message 104 of 169
See Most Recent

I am now reading Bad Girls by Jacqueline Wilson 🙂
Message 105 of 169
See Most Recent

i thought fifty shades was the biggest load of old rubbish and not even very well written, i ploughed through all three and they were dire !
Message 106 of 169
See Most Recent

I'm a girl & I for one absolutely cannot stand the Fifty Shades books! 😛

I'd much rather read War & Peace instead of those ANYDAY! 😛
Message 107 of 169
See Most Recent

When they came out i had no interest at all thinking they were just more of the S, S and more S!!. A friend persuaded me the other week to try them and i did. Its not the sexual content that interests its the story of the man in this book that grips you!!!. Well it did me and it had me in genuine compassionate tears as i can understand some of what it feels like to have problems in life that affect your relationships or not being able to have one.

Yes Carol i do know what you mean ,i was compelled to carry on reading and dont want it to end now. Ha ha.

Normally i read so much and i like Criminal, Ferensicy, Thriller books. And Romantic sagas. Danielle Steel is FAB. I love Tess Gerritsen.

Message 108 of 169
See Most Recent

I'm now reading the 12th & final volume of manga series Sakura Hime: The Legend Of Princess Sakura 🙂
Message 109 of 169
See Most Recent

Hallo kawa,

Please would you tell us more about the ... '... manga series Sakura Hime: The Legend Of Princess Sakura.'  I Googled it and still don't understand what it is, although it sounds fascinating.

Personally I've read James Smythe's Testimony and am following up with his Explorer - very different books.  They are loosely Sci-Fi but could be read by anyone who enjoys reading about personalities and their thought processes.  I've found them intriguing.

In between, I read Dan Brown's Inferno.  If you want to read a guide to the art/architecture/ambience of Florence and Venice buy guide books.  This story could have been written in far fewer pages.

Message 110 of 169
See Most Recent

I'm reading All Hell Let Loose, by Max Arthur.  It's like the complete history of World War II all in one book, covering all theatres of war and, in many cases, looking at certain areas of the conflict that have been widely overlooked elsewhere.  If you like reading up about World War II and haven't read this book yet then I'd recommend it.  The only downside is that the print is very small and some of the chapters are very long - some over thirty pages long - but it's well worth a read if you like military history books.

Message 111 of 169
See Most Recent

ok-mrs-bee, it's an action/fantasy/romance manga set in the historical Eido period/era of Japan, I can't really explain it any more than that I'm afraid, but it does cover 12 volumes 🙂

I'm now reading Midnight by Jacqueline Wilson 🙂

Message 112 of 169
See Most Recent

I am now reading Love On The Rocks by Veronica Henry. Romantic chicky,blokey funny,,happy ever after book really i think. Not finished it yet though.

Woman Very Happy

Message 113 of 169
See Most Recent

@kawaiikimmy83 wrote:
ok-mrs-bee, it's an action/fantasy/romance manga set in the historical Eido period/era of Japan, I can't really explain it any more than that I'm afraid, but it does cover 12 volumes 🙂

Thank you, Kawa - I looked further at the definition of manga and I think I now understand that these are graphic novels.  Can you explain the appeal of these books?  The artwork is intriguing but are the stories any good?  Are they for adults?  I remember a comic book adaptation of Lorna Doone when I was young - I loved it.

(That memory means I'll go looking for copies - the series was 'something Classics' - does anyone else remember them?)

I was intrigued by reviews of the re-issue of David Wingrove's Chung Kuo saga so I bought the newly written Book One, Son of Heaven.  So far, so good - I'm enjoying his writing style and his characters.  I already look forward to reading the other 19 books in the series.

Message 114 of 169
See Most Recent

The Lorna Doone sounds like the Classics Illustrated series Mrs Bee

I'm reading Red Shirts by John Scalzi, its a Star Trek parody written from the perspective of the "red shirts" who always died in the original series.

Its a fun concept and its an ok read but it hasnt really grabbed me.

Message 115 of 169
See Most Recent

@ok-mrs-bee - There are many different genres of manga to choose from, including comedy, horror, action, fantasy & slice of life & traditional Japanese manga is read from right to left page-wise, basically starting from what we call the back of the book to the front of it is the way it is done 🙂

I'm now currently reading The Worry Website by Jacqueline Wilson 🙂
Message 116 of 169
See Most Recent

I am now reading Flora and Grace by Maureen Lee a writer who i love. Stories orf the hardships and tragedies of wartime,,,sad but very true.

heart

Message 117 of 169
See Most Recent

The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson 🙂
Message 118 of 169
See Most Recent

Jeff, thank you - spot on - Classics Illustrated.  They are still being produced, apparently.

Kawa, thank you, also.  Should all Manga be read form the back to the front?  I'm really going to have to get one and see how it works.

I'm still reading Son of Heaven by David Wingrove - the hero, Jeff,  was once a techie 'webdancer' for the money market when China (apparently) hacked the virtual reality program which governed the money market.  This caused the total breakdown of law and order in the UK, although the UK was already a bit disfunctional with enclaves of 'haves' and the unprotected 'have-nots' everywhere outside the walled protectorates.  So far, it is the story of Jeff - where he is in 2065 and where he was in 2045.  I think the Chinese are about to appear in the last, 2065, section.

Message 119 of 169
See Most Recent

Traditionally it can be & is read from back to front, yes, and usually most of the time 🙂

I'm now starting on reading Stephen King's Carrie 🙂
Message 120 of 169
See Most Recent