What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us about the book which you're enjoying.  Why is it so enjoyable?  We all like different things so your impression of a book is helpful. 

I added many of the books, which were recommended on the previous thread, to my reading list, based on the poster's comments.

I've been having a crime-fest.  The most recent are ...

Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - I don't really like Brit-cop books - too depressing - and this was no exception.  (What is it with British cops?)  However, apart from some mistakes which should never have got past a decent editor, it was very readable with a good, if meandery, storyline.

The HIdden Man by David Ellis - This author has been likened to John Grisham crossed with Harlen Coben.  Being a fan of both, I poo-pooed this idea.  That was, until I read the book.  How wrong I was!  It is a gripping, fast read and deserves the comparison.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 169
See Most Recent
168 REPLIES 168

I'm currently reading and enjoying David Irving's biography of Erhard Milch.  Better still, it's a free AND LEGAL download.

Prior to that I've been reading Billy Bunter books and copies of the Magnet.

Cacas vendit.
Message 41 of 169
See Most Recent

:^O Joe, Billy Bunter and Magnet - take care - I'm sure there's sedition there!  You reminded me of when I was laid up with a virulent virus (is that tautology) about 12 years ago - I could only cope with my childhood Enid Blyton's.  It was quite a treat.

Re. Wolf Hall and other literary prize-winners - I've read some splendid prize winning books for young people but has anybody here really enjoyed a book which has won in an adult category.  What on earth are the judges looking for?

I downloaded the Sunday Times 6 finalist's stories in the recent (very valuable) short story competition.  I was hoping to get some understanding of what merited their place in the final.  So far, I've only read two of the stories.  The first was rather depressing and left me with a bad feeling - it won!  It wasn't a good story and the prose wasn't noticeably exceptional. The second was just as undistinguished but at least I remember the story which is more than I can say for the first.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other 2 Susan Howatch books set in the City of London and have started on her Starbridge books.  Having bought the first for a very cheap price on the river I've just managed to get the other 5 on eBay for a total of £7.16 so I'm feeling well chuffed.

Message 42 of 169
See Most Recent

:^O Joe, Billy Bunter and Magnet - take care - I'm sure there's sedition there!  

The words "PC gone mad" certainly don't come to mind when reading them. 🙂

A few years ago I revisited some childhood favourites and found most of them hugely disappointing.  The Adrian Mole books and 'The Wind in the Willows' seemed the veriest bilge and I only managed about one chapter of James Herriot.

I do find however that I can still read and enjoy the Paddington Bear books.

Cacas vendit.
Message 43 of 169
See Most Recent

On book two in The Awakened series by Jason Tesar, good read

Photobucket
Message 44 of 169
See Most Recent

been on holiday so have been reading daft paperback holiday type books,   now need some recommendations on something not too heavy which will give info on the israel / palestine conflicts pref on the palestine bias,  any suggestions anyone

Message 45 of 169
See Most Recent

I read Susan Howatch's Starbridge series of 6 books with enjoyment but also with some niggles.  How many clergymen do you know whose first wives have died, whose parents were dysfunctional and whose children have major hang-ups?  The stories seemed to be different but were essentially the same.  That being said, only the last of the six really irritated for the reasons stated above.  She is a very good storyteller and I would recommend the books.

Then I read The Killer Department by Robert Cullen.  I've never read a true crime story before but have always been intrigued by the film Citizen X and decided to buy the book.  It is the story of the investigation to find a serial killer in Soviet Russia in the 1980s.  It was intriguing and far more telling than the film.  It said more about the parlous state of the USSR than it did about the killings.  I read it with enjoyment mingled with frustration at the failings of Communist Russia bequeathed by Stalin.

I'm half-way through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  So far I'm disappointed.  It's had rave reviews and been top of the bestsellers for a long time - is this the power of promotion?  At the moment I really don't care what happens next, I'm not feeling the vibes which grabbed others.  Apparently something spectacular will happen so I'll persevere.

Message 46 of 169
See Most Recent

barbara vine the chimney sweepers boy and thoroughly enjoying it

Message 47 of 169
See Most Recent

I decided that the success of Gone Girl owed more to promotion than content.  I was very disappointed because the reviews promised an extraordinary book.  Without all the hype it was a good book I would have enjoyed.  It's a sad reflection that a good book can be oversold.

I read Sanctus by Simon Toyne - part one of a trilogy - and was gripped.  I've bought book two but awesomebooks is so slow dispatching that I'm having to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes  while I wait.  I've had my 1898 edition for many years but it's the first time I've read it.  I'm not gripped!

Message 48 of 169
See Most Recent

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Signature removed to make more space
Message 49 of 169
See Most Recent

@ 48 lonely*lady

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I could look up the book but it would be an enormous help to the thread if you could tell us something about it.and what you think of it.

I'm reading yet another Dean Koontz - one of his early ones written under a pseudonym. 

I'm still awaiting my 'dispatched within 24 hours' book from awesomebooks on Amazon.  It was dispatched after 5 days.

Message 50 of 169
See Most Recent

The HeLa cell was taken, without permission, from Henrietta Lacks. It as the first ever cell that did not die within a short time. It multiplies faster than any other cell and if left unchecked would have swamped the world entirely since it was first cultivated.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is the story behind the HeLa, telling of the life and death of Henrietta and the struggle of her family to come to terms with what happened and to try to gain recognition for Henrietta's contribution to science.

Signature removed to make more space
Message 51 of 169
See Most Recent

Eva Ibbotson "The Dragonfly Pool". I'm not selling anything so I might as well read them, and this book is worth reading. Not as good as the author's Journey to the River Sea but still worth the effort.

Message 52 of 169
See Most Recent

Thanks, lonely*lady, that sounds fascinating - I'm off to go a'googlin' about that.

I'm reading yet another Dean Koontz (I have a shelf-full bought in a job lot of 70 books, on eBay, for £10)  This one is  'Door to December', one of many which were issued under other names in his early years of writing and which were edited and re-published under his own name.  They are very quick reads!

'The Key', the second in the Sancti Trilogy by Simon Toyne, has at last arrived - 9 days after placing the order!  I'll let you know if it's as good as the first, 'Sanctus'.

Message 53 of 169
See Most Recent

roy hudd auto biog quite dull which has surprised me,  and having enjoyed paul o gradys first auto biog and eagerly awaited the second ,  found that to be a disappointment.   oh well on wards and upwards

Message 54 of 169
See Most Recent

Trousers.

Message 55 of 169
See Most Recent

The HeLa cell was taken, without permission, from Henrietta Lacks. It as the first ever cell that did not die within a short time. It multiplies faster than any other cell and if left unchecked would have swamped the world entirely since it was first cultivated.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is the story behind the HeLa, telling of the life and death of Henrietta and the struggle of her family to come to terms with what happened and to try to gain recognition for Henrietta's contribution to science.

Thanks to lonely*lady I bought and was totally engrossed by this book.  All credit to Rebecca Skloot for ten years of rigorous research to produce a book which tugs at the heartstrings with the story of Henrietta's family but which also explains, in easy fashion, recent (half a century) medical research and developments using human cells.

The second Sancti book was not quite as good as the first but it was still a quick and engrossing read.

Back to the second half of my shelf of Koontz books.

Message 56 of 169
See Most Recent

Im an avid reader and am reading Bloodroot by Susan Wittig Albert at the moment. Its about the Deep South in America which i love and about plants and herbs medicinally which interests me. I also like lady sleuths and China Bayles in this book is fantastic. The covers on these books are lovely too with plants and herbs on them. I have so many books on my shelves ha ha ha i wish i could buy everyone in the shops.:-)

Message 57 of 169
See Most Recent

Why are there so few threads on this board?

A good friend turned me on to [Sir?] Terry Pratchett and after blazing through and enjoying a bunch of his Discworld stuff, and moving on to heavier reading, I just finished the "Nome" Trilogy.  I needed some light LOL reading, and these were perfect.

Did the "add to the story" thread get *poofed*? 

I've been gone too long....  Hope all is well, O-M-B.

--Kate

Message 58 of 169
See Most Recent

I'm now on the second in The Forgotten Legion series by Ben Kane, bit bloody and violent and quite disturbing in places but a good read.

Photobucket
Message 59 of 169
See Most Recent

I'm thoroughly enjoying Mike Lawson's, Joe DeMarco, books.  "If you like Lee Child, you'll love Mike Lawson" is the blurb on the covers.  I would say, if you like Lee Child you'll probably like Mike Lawson.  Joe DeMarco is quite unlike Jack Reacher but he is probably a more realistic character.

(I really don't like the new Boards - how do I get my shameless sig (see below) into it's proper humble position without having to do several Returns and then draw a line?)

Message 60 of 169
See Most Recent