Mop heads unfit for purpose

I bought some Mop cleaning pads for my Morphy Richards steam cleaner. The machine that they were supposed to fit was the same type [No: 70495] and was advertised as such. I did not have occasion to use them immediately and assumed they would be suitable. I bought them on 29/9/23  received on 5/10/23 and tried to use them on 22/12/23 but they do not fit my machine and are unusable. The seller told me that it was might problem and I should have measured the mop heads but given that the machine number was advertised they should fit the mop. After a number of messages the seller claims that 'as long as the order has been on eBay for more than 3 months, we cannot refund you. The refund will be intercepted by eBay, so we cannot refund you successfully.
Hope you could understand this matter.'

I cannot find this feature on the Ebay website anywhere and wonder if this is actually the case. I realise that the cost was not massive only £10.34p but it is the principle. If a product is unfit for purpose does the seller have any responsibility for the product whenever it was bought. I have not used the items, they are still in their packing and when I tried to do so they do not fit my machine.

Can someone tell me where I can find the rules about refunds/returns for items that are not usuable. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you so much for your reply - I agree £10 is not much but it is the principal the seller’s items are not usable. Also thanks for the tip about the time limit for both payments - I do use Paypal.
I appreciate you help and I won’t be pursuing the matter any further. I just hope other people are not duped into buying these items.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

EBay's money back guarantee is on every page.  The problem for you is that you have only 30 days to deal with it from delivery.   EBay's time limit is absolute they will not extend it.   If you used Paypal you get 180 days to deal with it [although you will have to pay to return I believe].   

You acknowledge that it is only ~ £10 and possibly it is not worth it save as a learning point as to how eBay operates.    @spudandangie 

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

ebay only allow 30 days from date of delivery for returns, and refunds cannot be issued after 60 days.   The seller could return the money as a payment using Paypal or similar but there will be no requirement by ebay for them to do that.    Had you started the claim within the 30 days you would have got a full refund.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you so much for your reply - I agree £10 is not much but it is the principal the seller’s items are not usable. Also thanks for the tip about the time limit for both payments - I do use Paypal.
I appreciate you help and I won’t be pursuing the matter any further. I just hope other people are not duped into buying these items.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

If you bought these through Paypal payment you will still be in time to open a "not as described case".  Escalate after just 2 days and before 20 days.   It's a simple enough matter.

The seller has been a bit unpleasant so it might be worthwhile to use PP case.  I believe that by doing so the seller gets a surcharge [£13?]  others may know

@spudandangie 

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you so much for your advice. This community is really most helpful and given what I have gained from my message it is not worth taking the matter further. It was never about the money just the principal and not wanting others to be caught out.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

If it’s the money, then try your payment provider for a chargeback. 

If, as you say, it’s not the money then it’s a matter of leaving accurate but polite feedback which just might prevent a few people from, as you say, being duped. As it’s a business seller, you  could also report them to Trading Standards: I suspect they are in breach of consumer law.

I’d also contact Murphy Richards. Big companies are keen to protect their reputation, so they might take action against a rogue seller and/or go out of their way to put things right with you.

In fairness, it’s very easy for a reputable business to refund you if they really wanted to.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply. it is not about the money just the principal selling products that are not fit for purpose. Morphy Richards might appreciate the information.
When I have contacted them for spare parts for my machine in the past they could only offered me a new one! However the advice is much appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sent from my iPad
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Have you tried espares dot co dot U.K. ? 

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: