Why is Ebay allowing listings of Flour for baking at exorbitant prices. It's profiteering.

So the world is cowerering in the face of Covid19, so what do some wonderful people do?

They start stripping the stores of food for there own selfish reasons.

To make it worse some of them are trying to make a "quick buck" with a sideline in profiteering.

Selling flour (this is the only one I noticed), that was no doubt previously on sale in a food shop at exhorbitant prices.

Almost as bad are the people bidding on them, this just encourages these morons.

I thought Ebay had an ethical policy about profiteering.

Why haven't they taken these listings down?

Update 4/4/20

Well I eventually found the "Report" link (it's under the listing on the right) and did some reporting. Some of the more unusual brands I left alone because I don't know how much they should cost. I concentrated on brands that must have come off of Supermarket shelves. Also some bulk items (16kg). I checked prices at the suppliers e.g. Dove.

Some were inflated by as much as 1000% e.g. £1.70 to £17.00 This was a couple of days ago.

I only reported auction items that had a starting bid that was much too high e.g. 400%

It's impossible to tell if high bids on these items are from "auction breakers" or idiots.

I checked today and all of those I reported have been delisted.

So if like me you feel outraged by the greed of some people taking advantage of the needs of others during a time of crisiss get reporting. Check that it really is a rip off though and I'd suggest not to be overly zealous.

Price increases of more than about 10% of the expected price i.e. what Super Markets charge is illegal in the UK.

If you feel especially agrieved you can report transgressors to:

National Consumer Commission instead, on 0800 014 880
Do not ring the Police directly.

Information Source

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/how-to-report-price-gouging-and-profiteering-during-the-coronaviru...

Ah I feel so much better now 🙂

View Entire Topic
plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"Why haven't they taken these listings down?"

How long ago is it since you reported the listing to eBay?