Negative feedback removal... is it even me worth trying to have it removed?

I've received my first negative feedback in over 20 years of selling on eBay and just wondering if it is actually worth trying to get it removed or if it’s not worth the bother? 

The story goes like this...

I sold a Charlotte Tilbury Brow Gel. It was new and came as part of Magic Box, which is a sort of goodie bag of random products, that I ordered direct from the Charlotte Tilbury website.

The product was new, unopened and unused. There was no seal on the box and the tube itself is not transparent. Usually if the box isn’t sealed, I would remove the item from the box to photograph, but I didn’t on this occasion and assume I was rushing to list it therefore just took a photo of the box. I'm wondering if this is why the buyer thought it should have been sealed, because I didn't remove it from the box? 

Anyway, I posted the brow gel the day after the sale.

Unfortunately, I ended up with an unplanned hospital visit and the last thing I was thinking about for the next week was checking my messages.  As I started wading through my emails again, I saw a message stating that funds were on hold due to a dispute through a third party, which I assumed it was Paypal even though it didn’t say.

The buyer had initially sent a berating message through eBay essentially saying that there was not as much product in the brow gel as expected and wanted a refund without sending the product back. And I shouldn’t have listed it as new when it obviously wasn’t sealed. The fact it wasn’t sealed was pointed out to me a couple of times in the message.

The product was not sent out to me sealed, and if I had used the brow gel I wouldn’t be listing it as new.  I list things honestly, just as I expect other people to.  

I would have happily have disputed their claim because I know it was new and unopened but

1) Apparently we are charged a fee if we contest,

2) I had no evidence to show it was new. I mean how to you prove in retrospect that a tube of  brow gel in an opaque tube is full and has not been opened when the manufacturer does not send it out sealed?

3) I still wasn’t feeling too well and just wanted it done and dusted.

I sent a brief message to the buyer saying that due to illness I had just seen their message but  I would send a refund for the product but I guaranteed that it was a new and unopened item and can only assume some evaporation had occurred.  However, it was not sent to me sealed and as far as I can see, none that were listed for sale on eBay were sealed either. So if it were important it may be worth checking with a seller going forward.   I meant it in a helpful way because I didn’t want this to happen to another poor seller.

I then bit the bullet and followed all the links and agreed to refund without a return as I didn’t want to pay the return postage to receive a product I would just put in the bin.

Didn’t think much of it after that but I’ve just seen that they have left me negative feedback. 

I must admit the tone of voice used in the neg feedback makes them sound like a victim, nothing like the tone of the message sent to me.

If I ask for a revision, does a human evaluate my reason being because I promise the item was new or do they send out an email to the buyer asking them to change their mind? Because I don’t think they would from the feedback. Or should I just move on?

Any advice welcomed please.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You've got very little chance as eBay dont see the product and as you have mentioned you dont know yourself how much was in it, theres only 1 person who really knows how much was in the product and they have left the review, they may be lying but thats the risk you take unfortunately. Also add in your didnt reply to messages (understandable but eBay wont care) and the buyer had to go via paypal to get a refund, guessing they didnt open a case via eBay as that would have been easier for them and you'd have not responded and theyd have got a refund and kept the product. 

Aa you've sold 3100 items you'll just have to chalk this one upto experience and take the hit. If the customer has opened a charge back via their bank it might cost you more though, but somebody else will eb better placed on that as I've never lost a charge back.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

You've got very little chance as eBay dont see the product and as you have mentioned you dont know yourself how much was in it, theres only 1 person who really knows how much was in the product and they have left the review, they may be lying but thats the risk you take unfortunately. Also add in your didnt reply to messages (understandable but eBay wont care) and the buyer had to go via paypal to get a refund, guessing they didnt open a case via eBay as that would have been easier for them and you'd have not responded and theyd have got a refund and kept the product. 

Aa you've sold 3100 items you'll just have to chalk this one upto experience and take the hit. If the customer has opened a charge back via their bank it might cost you more though, but somebody else will eb better placed on that as I've never lost a charge back.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

As you have sent a full refund without a return, it might be worth trying to have the negative revoked. 

A similar thing happened to me where I had sold a miniature perfume set, the box was sealed but the buyer left negative feedback saying that two of the perfumes were empty upon receipt.

As the packaging was shrink wrapped, it was clear that I hadn't used any

The buyer hadn't even got in touch with me, just left bad feedback

I didn't bother trying to have it revoked but I did reply to the negative by saying the box was shrink wrapped and clearly the perfumes had evaporated

The negative feedback stayed for 12 months! However, it didn't prevent further sales

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Please be aware that you are trading illegally as a private individual when you are clearly a business seller, so I would rectify that to avoid any further repercussions.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

It is always worth trying to get bad FB removed. 

A couple of months ago we got a neutral removed by phoning Customer services early <before 10am> & getting the Irish team.  They couldn't remove it then & there, but it went later that day.

Have a look at the buyer's FB that they leave for others to see if they do this a lot, or if comments left for her mention she was refunded etc. If so we could all do without a buyer like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid 

If it ends up not being removed then you can reply to it, but keep it short & polite as you will be judged more by what you write than what the buyer has written

Good luck!

Oh, & don't forget to block her so you don't have to deal with her again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082&st=3&pos=2&qu... 

If you need to upgrade your account here's the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/signing-account/signing-account?id=4191 

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

It's never a good idea to try and put some of the onus on an unhappy buyer, even if your advice in 'going forward' was intended to be helpful.  Grit your teeth, apologise profusely, take all the blame and let them think they are right and that will reduce your chances of getting a negative feedback. Your buyer says they purchase this product often and the gel in the one they purchased from you had hardly anything in it. They may be lying but you should never assume that or suggest it.  It might be worth sending a feedback revision request with a huge sincere apology. You have nothing to lose in doing so.

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Thank you,

I'm not sure which route they took to dispute but I sent them a full refund and I said they could keep the product.

You're quite right, the buyer is the only one who knows what's inside as I never opened it so assumed as you would that it was full when listing it. I'm sure there would have been marks around the opening if it had been used from the brush being reinserted.  But once I had read their message, I got in touch and explained my circumstances and refunded. I’ve bought a mascara from a shop before that was sealed and it was dry, and had eyeliners that constantly break when they're sharpened, sometimes products are just duff.

So it isn’t about not believing them but it’s more their lack of empathy and anger in the feedback and that they were on the attack from the one and only message that they sent me, like they were using repeated negative words so that if AI read it it would pick them up. It wasn't how I would have written it anyway, maybe I'm being over sensitive but guess we’re all different.

Like you say, best to move on and chalk it up to experience. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Having read the negative feedback from the buyer, in my view I don't think there is anything that is either offensive/personally directed, nor has the buyer said anything about the item or service that you could definitively prove was false or a lie. Therefore I don't think eBay would remove the feedback,, but you could always use the feedback reporting option to see if it works.

I think in future if you have such scenarios - buyer claims a problem and you don't definitively know that they are wrong - that it is better to try not to argue with the buyer. A more neutral response that doesn't contradict the buyer and offers a resolution (return or refund) might avoid any negative feedback afterwards.

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

It mentions getting a refund through Paypal, which may well be grounds for removal

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply,

Oh my word, if the perfume was shrink wrapped it was definately a manufacturing error.  And nothing that you would have been aware of.

I think I'm just going to let it go, I don't list many things anyway. I think it was just a bad series of events/timing  which the buyer obviously didn't believe.

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

I am wondering why your buyer went straight to PayPal instead of opening a case with eBay.

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Just because the OP has a number of 'new' items for sale doesn't make them a business seller!

If they had multiple quantities of the same item then definitely that would be the case.

Anyway,

Because 'refund' was mentioned in the feedback, that is good grounds for ebay to remove it. It's worth a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Thank you. 

I understand what youre saying.  Thats the thing I didn't argue with the buyer, I never would, I personally wouldn't complain if there wasn't a reason to so assume its the same for others.  I've bought faulty products before, sometimes thing get past quality control.  Once I saw the dispute message (as I had been ill and not responded before) I replied to let them know that I will be refunding in full and I wasn't sure why it isn't full as it has not been opened maybe it evaporated but I won't be asking for it to be returned. 

They had written to me that 'the box was not sealed which it should have stated been opened on your advertisement.' I only replied to this comment as the box did not come sealed, there was literally no seal on the box to break (unlike their lipsticks for example) and it was sent direct from Charlotte Tilbury.  The box had not been opened as I didn't take it out for the photo even. My comment wasn't anything offensive, or shouldn't have been. I can only assume they thought it was sealed because I hadn't removed the tube from the box for the photo. 

Oh well, you live and learn. 

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

You clearly aren't au fait with eBay's rules.

Over 3,000 items sold, selling new make-up, etc. Getting rid of one's own stuff, methinks not.

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

I've just taken a look at eBays description for a business seller as I was wondering why you think I should be a business seller.  I don't buy items to sell, make my own items to sell or buy items for a business.

I only sell items that I no longer want anymore so rather than throw them away I list them.  If you are referring to the cosmetics that I have listed they are from sets that I have purchased for my own personal use and I may not want/need all of the items in the set for one reason or another.  

There is no money to be had in buying to sell these days.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

As usual, people are getting on the OP's back about being a private seller, when that is definitely not the issue here. When she's been told once; that's enough.

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

No wonder I've slowly been moving my items to vinted! eBay have never really been there for the sellers. Over 5years I've given good service. Not for much longer, vinted are far more better at listening to what you have to say . 

Tut tut eBay ! You don't have time for your customers.

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

julie283,

Armchair Generals and Keyboard Warriors have a little bit of knowledge, and like to muscle their way in like a simple-minded horse.

It's a pity that you were sent off on a tangent by this person.  I landed on this thread because I was curious.  I will add my detail-orientated, buyer-perspective as an answer to your original post.  (i.e. no need to answer this bit.  I am just surprised that ther person who spluttered that you are trading illegally is actually a petulant and extremely unforgiving busybody.  I know this because I am well able to follow information trails, especially when it's just a case of using hyperlinks.)

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Julie283,

As a buyer, I ALWAYS read negative and neutral feedback to determine whether the Seller has been unlucky or if they are not worth the risk of a problem with the transaction.

In short, if it is within the time-limit, ask for the Buyer to revise.  It may be that they misunderstood, and think better of it.  I have looked at many "Top Rated Seller" feedback, and they can have a curiously high number of Negative/Neutral without it seeming to dent Ebay's cheerful promotion of them.  But I completely understand your sense of disappointment after being lumped with a harsh opinion of you.

But a Buyer might be the type of person who leaves a Negative Feedback such as:

"Promised to provide proof of postage, but didn't even have the courtesy to do so. Still waiting - so, all in all, a thoroughly unsatisfactory transaction (always assuming that it does arrive)." 

...when it's for a £6.00 CD, with only basic RM 2nd class postage at £2.80.   (Note that it was left before receipt of the item).  Having left furious feedback for a relatively tiny outlay, such a Buyer is not likely to relent.  In which case:

...Reply to the Buyer Feedback.  Again, I am someone who reads this, not just takes the Buyer's side of the story.  (The very worst offenders leave a rant about the product quality in the Transaction review, not having the faintest idea how it impacts on the reputation of the Seller.)

I have not checked every detail of your tale (I could, but it is not necessary), so I do not know what options are open to you at the moment.

But I do sympathise.  I am almost exclusively a Buyer, and I really feel for sellers - especially private sellers who clearly do their best, judging from the more detailed feedback entries - who have to contend with ill-mannered or extremely unreasonable buyers.  But I feel that I am one of the few who takes time to scrutinise feedback.  By some twist of fate, I ended up with a genuine email exchange with Ebay Customer Service, and pointed out that the Feedback System can be useful, but occasionally very harsh for Sellers. 

This is the reason for my lengthy input.   I know how you end up asking the "Community", rather than easily finding a way to get a Human from Ebay to answer.

In summary, as a Buyer, I glean information from Feedback.  It can help me decide.  Therefore,

1. When - and if - you get the chance, ask for a Feedback Revision (it's in the online help that currently there is a limit of 5 per year (as a basic figure)).
  2. If it becomes necessary, leave a Seller Reply to any unreasonable Feedback - For people who care to research, it can be enormously supportive by detailing how the Seller did their utmost to provide a good service, and lets them mount their own defence instead of appealing to Ebay.

Best of luck with your selling.  You seem to be the type of person who does not ride roughshod over Buyers, or deserve to hit a brick wall when you could do with useful advice from the platform itself..  However. if the people at Ebay would consider a short explanation of why removal is desired, try that.

But as a post-script, the most staggering Negative Feedback that I have read was a six-line apoplectic rant about an ink-cartridge for a printer.

...It cost £1.85, which included FREE P&P.  I kid you not.  Some people are beyond hope.

Best wishes,

e_s

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: