Is this a scam? eBay to delete my account if I don't log in

Recieved this email this morning. Google Mail thinks the sender is legit (i.e. it is actually from eBay).

--------------

Sign in to keep your account

Hi Vicky,

We noticed it’s been a while since you last signed in.

We plan to close your account to help keep your personal information safe. If you want to keep your account, all you need to do is sign in within the next 30 days.

Sign in

We’d be sorry to see you go. If there's anything we can do to improve your experience, please just get in touch. We’re here to help.

If we do close your account, you should know that we may be required to retain certain information for a limited period of time, after which it will be deleted. For more information, please see our User Privacy Notice.

-----------------

I use the account literally every day. I was logged in when the email arrived! Gmail says the email address looks legit and it comes from eBay. Looks like a scam though...there's a link to log in with but I haven't clicked on it. So I'm guessing either a scam or a glitch with the eBay systems?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Do you have more than one account?

I ask because you induicate that you are a business but there does not appear to have been much activity on the private account you have posted from.

Does the message appear in your eBay Messages Inbox?

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

I did think it might be another account...probably the one we had before we set up as a business. I don't think we would have used the same email address though (but could be wrong!)

There's no similar message being sent to my eBay business account (inside eBay itself).

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

For it to be another account...if would have to have the same name as my regular business account, and also have the same email address. I didn't think this would be allowed (two accounts with similar details) but I don't know really...

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

You can own 2 or more accounts,  but they have to have a different email addresses , and different username ID's.

If the email message came through your eBay messaging system and another clue is that they used your real name and not your username ID,   then all it looks good , and it has come from eBay.

However,  in this day and age when everything seems so easy to ' fake and fool' just contact eBay Customer Services to confirm they did send this email, and then you can decide and discuss if you wish to keep it open or to close it.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. aand 6 p.m.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Have you checked the headers of the e-mail message?

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Okay so this is weird.....just chatted to a CS and they say the email isn't real and they never sent it. However:

1) It looks very real - they know my actual name, correct email address and account name.

2) The email address it came from is ebay@ebay.com

3) Google mail verifies the email as being genuine and also the eBay logo in the email is genuine

Yet eBay say they haven't sent it, so if it's a scam it's a very good one!

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

I would log on to your account at ebay.co.uk/www.ebay.com website only.

If the message is valid it will be in your messages there.

However you have now logged on so message is redundant !

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Scammers can put anything in as their sending e-mail.   The headers will show their IP address.  If you're not sure how to get the headers, 

1. Open the email for which you want to check the headers.
  2. Next to Reply , click More. Show original. In a new window, the full header is shown.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

This is the information in the header:

Untitled.jpg

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi all,

Just to confirm, this is something we do. If you have an account and we detect that there is no activitiy, we will let you know and you will have 30 days to log into your account from the date the email was sent. If you log in, your account won't be deleted and no further actions will be needed from your end, otherwise, the account will be deleted and this cannot be reversed.

If you regularly use your account and you receive this email, it could be an old account you had before and you haven't used in a while.

A good way to identify it as scam or not and double check this is a legit email from us and not someone else is that we ask you to log in manually by going to our website, a scam email will prompt you to click on a link. 

I hope this information helps,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: