Hallmark id

hallmark.jpgHI I was wondering if nyone can identify this gold hallmark please. It is a brooch which is 9 carat and has a shamrock inside a sheiled cartouche. Thanks

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Hallmark id

This is the makers mark on an Irish Dublin marked piece made in the late Victorian period.   The makers name has been lost in the transfer to digital but could be a jeweller called Flannerly who used a similar mark around this time.  This has come from a very old book I have that has foxed pages so the image is not completely clear.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Thank you I will have a look

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

I don't think it's a shamrock, it's wheat sheaves in a shield with swords, the assay mark for Chester.

Or am I looking at the wrong mark?  I'm referring to the mark at the bottom of the photo.  Send me more photos and I might be able to give you the date and maker.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi  this is definitely NOT a Chester mark.  Even well rubbed you could not form the three blobs as shown in yopur pic from a Chester mark.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I have passed an image onto the Dublin Assay office to ask them if it is Irish. I know that it isn’t Chester assay mark but it is a bit of a mystery really. My thoughts are possibly edging towards French as a possibility as I have found another mark which could be an eagles head.

Thanks again

Sean
Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi there

thanks for your reply. It is definitely a shamrock/fleur de lys within the shield cartouche. I see the 9 and .375 and the end mark is too worn. On the other side of the brooch is another mark which looks like a French Eagle Mark but I can't focus in to be sure but I have cropped the photo which I posted earlier.

thanks

sean

IMG_9759.jpeg

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Out of interest what does the brooch itself look like.

Can you upload a photo of it from the front?

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi the mark next to the .375 mark looks like the top of the crowned harp mark of Dublin silver.  Look through Bradbury's hallmarks on line at Dublin dates around 1880 and you will see it is almost certainly Irish. The style of the brooch is classic for this period. The french eagle mark has no hard spikes as in your pic and the French have never used this format of marks for their precious metals.  If the mark I point as the Dublin assay mark then the shamrock shield has to be a maker which has not beenh recorded to onine searches.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

image.jpgHi Douglas

it is quite late Victorian/early Edwardian style set with a Peridot stone in the centre. It has a replacement pin which I think is Silver but the rest is 9 carat Gold.

cheers

Sean

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi there

thanks again for your really. I will have a look. Here is the other mark I was on about which I thought might have been the French Purity Mark for .375

IMG_9798.jpeg

IMG_9797.jpeg

 Cheers

Sean

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

Hi

habe you a link to Bradbury hallmarks online please?

cheers

Sean

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Hallmark id

I just assumed that Bradbury's would be online now but they are still only sold in book form just like I use.   You can buy a pocket version for £7.59 on Amazon.  I also use British Makers Silver Identification site onloine and a really handy international one called the Online Directory of International Silver marks.  Both work just as well for gold items.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: