Buyer initiated return request, I accepted but buyer then closed the request

Hi all, first time posting here and thought I'd share this kind of strange story. 

Bit about my eBay activities:
- started on eBay during 2003
- Business Seller
- Above Average Seller
- Up until the last 4 weeks, I've had a pretty OK eBay experience

I used to be a busy eBayer up until 10 years ago when I decided to knock it on the head. Only returned every 5 years or so to clear out stuff I'd collected and no longer used. Recently made a return to this platform to clear surplus electronic drum gear which I no longer need - my my, how it's changed lolz

Approx 4 weeks ago, a very keen buyer bought most of my high value electronic drum gear. Came across as a nice guy, had his own eBay and Reverb shopfronts and very talkative in the messaging system. However, about 3 weeks ago, he started to complain about one of the items and how it was not working as expected. The item in question was sold as "fair condition for age and usage", I stated in the description that it had taken a beating and at nearly 3 years old had signs of cosmetic wear (I detailed that wear and tear in writing and photos). Despite all that, the item still operated as expected. 

On recieving the buyer's complaint via eBay messaging, I requested photos of the item and photos of the item's settings in the module. Most of the time, issues are down to module configuration with regards to playing style. His reply was that he'd provide the photos later - but never did. About 10 hours later, he messaged to say he'd spent hours reading the manual and thought the item would perform better than it did. I passed on some settings tips and that was the last I heard from him...until 4 days before the 30 day return window closed. 

He messaged again stating that the item had been tested and found to be faulty and damaged. He stated he could return the item but was willing to accept a partial refund. He also added that another item had a problem and "did you swap parts on this or something?". I decided not to reply but instead did some internet research on the Buyer. I found his FB page and found the following Public post made the day before he sent the message about the item being faulty and the other item that I allegedly swapped parts with:

signal-2023-08-30-011938_002.jpeg

The item in question is the trigger with the sticks lying on it and the floor tom trigger to it's furthest right. Upon seeing the FB post, I decided to not engage with the buyer, assumed he would soon put in an official return request and he did so on the 31st day after delivery. 

The big BUT here is in the FB post. He made a reference to my former ekit triggers being powered by SD3 (Superior Drummer 3) which is a 3rd party drum emulation software on a Mac. I used SD3 myself but had no end of problems with the Roland digital triggers (what he bought from me) not working properly with that software. The issues he described to me were exactly the same known compatibility issues and are widely known across the Internet edrum communities and You Tube. Had he'd provided the "photos" I'd asked for then I would have told him that SD3 was the problem, not the items he'd bought from me. 

For the entire Bank Holiday (which I went away on holiday) the whole thing was on my mind and I was resigned to the fact that my cash flow would take a hit. I came to the conclusion that perhaps I had sold him faulty/damaged gear and which was only discovered the day after he made that FB post. I'd already decided that I would accept a full return and refund once I'd got the item or items back. I've done this before over the years but it's only happened a few times in my 20 years on eBay. I don't dispute or argue, I just accept the buyer isn't happy and lets get it sorted PDQ. If the items came back, and I found them faulty then I would repair and relist as repaired/refurbished. Luckily, I'm very well connected with Roland support due to my custom over the years and dealing with them on warranty and advice, so I do have some support to fall back on. 

When I got the return request, the buyer stated again "willing to accept a partial refund" but listed a different fault (the part in particular) as to what he put in the eBay message. I decided to contact Roland support who advised that the part's mentioned were not available as individual parts in that model. I was advised that if the issues reported were the case then the solution was the complete replacement of the item's internals (all one modular part) and at a cost of £320 - and there's no stock anywhere due to a component shortage. 

My discussion with Roland got me thinking "why would anyone want a partial refund for a faulty item which is going to cost them more to fix and not to mention the massive wait time for the part". I decided to stick with plan A and provide a full refund on receipt of the item. Funds for over £300 were then put on hold as per usual. Return postage was issued to the buyer and I felt pretty bad about the possibility that I sold a faulty item to the buyer...of course, there was still the other item which he'd started to complain about. 

10 hours after I accepted the return and issued the return label, the buyer then closed the return request. 

The end...I do not know what happend. But there you go and I thought I'd share with you all

Cheers. 

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Bet it's not the first time he's tried that.

I hope you've added him to your blocked list so the little toe rag can't buy from you again.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Fishing for partial refund.

What it sounds like is that the buyer was fishing for a partial refund just to get some money back. When you didn't play their game and insisted on a return for a full refund the buyer realized they weren't going to get what they wanted so gave up on the return.

The fact that the buyer was asking for money back before opening the return makes it pretty clear to me. Changing or adding problems is another sign in my view that the buyer is fishing. If a genuine person buys expensive items then of course they expect them to be and work as reasonably described. If the items aren't working properly a partial refund doesn't resolve the issue so why would a genuine person be interested in that. It would either be support to fully resolve, full refund, or cost of prefessional repair (if possible/feasible).

Of course, it's possible that the buyer realized the issues were software-related only after opening the return, so it was all genuine. I'd be very surprised.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I may come across as naive, but I'd only come across the "fishing for a partial refund" a few days ago. I don't remember doing/seeing the option back when I was a heavy eBay seller over 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, the few returns I got back then were for a fault or incorrect item ordered. Back then, neg feedback seemed to be the main tool of disgruntled buyers. However, the idea of a partial refund just doesn't sit right with me. As you say, if an item is not working then I would send it back for a full refund and then shop around again. 

The photo he posted up on FB only proved to me that he's used/using the items and is happy with them by referring to them as "coping a steal"...which they weren't. I got back approx 90% of what I paid for those items and mainly for the reason that I bought them during the lockdown in 2021. Rampant inflation since the lockdowns has pushed new prices much higher than what I paid. Unless, of course, he was referring to the expected partial refunds...yes, then they would be classed as a "steal"...so I'll give him that. 

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Yes, that was the first thing I did, and the other account he used too. Inititially because I didn't want them buying anything else from me until a resolution was found. 

It's all a bit disappointing as he came across as a real nice guy. My hope was I could offload most of my gear to him which would have made my life easier. Alas, it just wasn't to be. 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Had same thig a few week ago with a camera, buyer said not working and wanted refund. so I said start a return. Buyer said not paying postage its broken and no good. I confirmed I would pay postge for return and sent label. Buyer did not send the item back. Lots of scammers about !

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

@cert_meister_general wrote:

'Up until the last 4 weeks, I've had a pretty OK eBay experience.'

You're not the only one

'Approx 4 weeks ago, a very keen buyer bought most of my high value electronic drum gear. Came across as a nice guy, had his own eBay and Reverb shopfronts and very talkative in the messaging system.' 

Its the talkative ones that are the most trouble in my experience. Anyone who gets overly chatty in messages gets blocked before they have a chance to buy

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

It's all a bit disappointing as he came across as a real nice guy.

Confidence tricksters always do. 

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

That reminds me need to block someone. All over £5.00 necklace I'm selling. Blasted me with 11 messages from 11pm to 1am one to cancel, as forgot to add her new address in. Then proceeded to bombard me with why is it taking so long for a refund. As it said cancel pending. 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

It's more common than you think, the next stage would be eBay investigation, chances are they would've found othe there may have have been a pattern.

We had it with an item we sold not high value within 2 days they left it then contacted us and said it was faulty, we both looked at the picture looked like something had been ripped apart by a dog. So I accepted the refund, etc etc. then I looked at the pictures we had it was pristine so contacted the conversion with them and started to question then, it got really aggressive from their side, her husband then got involved with the messaging and got even more aggressive. So I said I'm done and will report. He got in there first within half an hour, I questioned how many times has this been done. eBay locked the transaction investigated came back 24hrs later to say I keep the transaction fees and they unlocked.

My advise is to take additional pictures of all items any marks etc, but also take pictures of how you pack it up, how items are wrapped in the box and the external box and the destination label. These you don't post on eBay unless you give it too them during their investigation.

That way you have this as back up incase the say box arrived in ripped in appalling condition. So you can prove it was done in transit if anything is damage and claim from the courier. Make sure you buy a label that matches compo to the price you sold it for.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: