Business operating as private sellers

I think this is the one instance where naming and shaming should be allowed. 

At the very minimum it gives them the right to reply.

Sure, there will be the odd stamp collector who is private that those defending this practice always trot out,

but's let face it we all see plenty of stuff from blatant business sellers registered as private individuals.

I sell in low value item categories mostly under £10 including delivery.  I have to compete with these people, competition is fine, unfair competition I'm finding is increasingly not.

If they were named and shamed, then we could all go have a look at their listings, report them, then when Ebay see many multiple reports against a single seller they MAY just take action.

Message 1 of 168
See Most Recent
167 REPLIES 167

I have been buying and selling on eBay for nearly 20 years. There have been massive changes to the on-line marketplace over the years. I don’t buy as much as I used to on eBay partly because I can often find items cheaper elsewhere and I also because I used to buy regularly using my PayPal balance from selling.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 161 of 168
See Most Recent

Whingers just might get ebay to rethink some of its more crass decisions once in a while.

Those who say nothing, roll over and accept everything that ebay does just allow them to get away with the ever more disgraceful ways they treat sellers (and these days that includes lying to buyers about delivery dates) by making them look incompetent or dishonest.

I continue to use ebay because it suits my purpose too, but I don't like being made to look like a fool by a "service" I pay for and will say so.

Message 162 of 168
See Most Recent

You've hit the nail on the head there.. "I can often find items cheaper elsewhere"

You know the site is dying when nearly everything is cheaper on Amazon or any other website, and you knwo it will be brand new and from legal, reputable businesses.. it's like Ebay has nothing to compete with, apart from second hand goods... which... only collectors like, and is such a niche thing.

Message 163 of 168
See Most Recent

Very few just whinge though. Most of us complain about faults and highlight them. Thats how things change, if people were never to complain then women wouldnt have the vote, we'd be working 7 days a week for the rich and thanking them for scraps.

I agree those (if any) who just complain can leave, but those of use who complain, point out the faults, often law breaking faults and highlight them to eBay are actually helping people like yourself who seem to want eBay to allow its users break the law and are happy for it to continue. It would all be solved if eBay took ownership of the faults on the site and fixed them, but they would rather stick their head in the ground and tell us everything is working perfectly as planned.

Message 164 of 168
See Most Recent

I take issue with your comment about my wanting e bay to allow breaking the rules/laws.  I have frequently on this side said that i can understand business sellers being aggrieved about pseudo private sellers.  My point was made in reaction to the comment on message 152.  If the person is so contemptuous of e bay then why are they still on it?   It is one thing trying to change the system but when it is clear that it is not going to happen then why beat your head against a brick wall and just make yourself miserable.  If Amazon et al are so great then move to them, that would be the biggest blow to E Bay, lose of more sellers.    Or is it that e bay still fulfils a purpose?  

Message 165 of 168
See Most Recent

So no.. Ebay for me, does not fulfil any purpose. It's the new Woolworths, HMV, Wilkos. Give it 3-5 years it will be gone. another Play.com

Hence why my prices are marked down.  

Message 166 of 168
See Most Recent

I apologise if you have took issue.

So if you can understand why people have 'whinged' (which I think is a poor choice of wording) then surely you can't be agaisnt it? You are agreeing its an issue but then dont want people complaining about said issue if they still use the service?

We all know eBay has a purpose, its still working ok for many but it could be working much better if they took ownership of their faults, fixed them and moved on.

The only way this will happen is if people like @cardcraze-uk , myself and others keep highlighting the issue and passing said information onto other people who have power to force eBay to do stuff.

I have said many times on here that this site has allowed me to move full time self employed but I shouldnt just role over and let them take money off me due to faults on their own website or allow people to break the law once they have been told of this. 

This isnt a new issue, its been going on for over 5 years. People have probably got bored, gave up and left eBay but whilst I'm here paying 5 figures to eBay every year I feel like I'm perfectly entitled to complain about issues.

Message 167 of 168
See Most Recent

it is not multiples of the same item....it is MULTIPLE Identical LISTINGS of the same item ...if i have 10 of something i put them in 1 Listing on a buy it now ...i don't flood search results with 10 identical listings as these pseudo private sellers do

Message 168 of 168
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: