Refunds on an item that was delivered to destination but not collected by the buyer

Just looking for some advice on what possible outcomes are available on this issue.

A buyer bought from me earlier this week. The courier tracking shows that the item arrived at the destination, which appears to be a block of flats/apartments. But the buyer has DM'd me saying they haven't received it.

The courier uploaded a photo onto the app of the item being delivered - it was in the doorway of the building. I sent this photo to the buyer as they will know the building much better than I will given that its at the other end of the country.

The buyer and I have been working to try and resolve the issue, and it has been very pleasant and cooperative - I have absolutely nothing bad to say at all.

It sounds like it might have been delivered to the wrong building (with a similar name to the destination building) and someone else has picked it up.  They are going to confirm with me very shortly.

I've contacted the courier company for further information about the dropoff. I'm told that they're going to gather more information, including potentially interviewing the delivery driver to get their take.

I don't believe I'm at fault because I've done what has been expected of me in packaging the item up and sending it out within 2 working days, and I'm doing everything that I reasonably can to get as much information for the buyer as I can. But I appreciate that if I were the buyer in this kind of scenario, I would want a refund/replacement.

So I'm guessing the outcomes will be either send a refund, send a replacement/alternative, or ask ebay to get involved? If ebay got involved, would that impact my seller rating/feedback?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Refunds on an item that was delivered to destination but not collected by the buyer

Hi if your sent item is signed for or tracked post and can confirm that the item has been delivered then you have done your part, even if it was to show that delivery was attempted and no one was home, eBay still consider the item as delivered, you have done all you could do to have it delivered, if the courier has made an error and delivered it to the wrong address this is not your fault and you are not responsable, just as long as your tracking says delivered you are good to go and covered by eBay, you do not need to refund or send a replacement, if the buyer opens a "Item not recieved" case wait the set amount of time them contact eBay via seller help and they will close the case in your vavour if you have tracking that says delivered, hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear.

So where would this leave the buyer then? It would still leave them out of pocket for an item that was delivered but that they haven't been able to pick up due to the courier's fault and not mine or the buyers. I can understand they'd feel hard done by. I would too.

eBay doesn't have a way or a policy of making a goodwill payment or offering something like credits to put towards another purchase, do they? As it isn't eBay's fault that the item didn't turn up either.

It just doesn't feel great knowing that there's someone who bought from me and who's out of pocket , even though its no fault of my own.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: