CHARGEBACK FUNDS ON HOLD - HOW LONG

Hi guys, 

I sold a phone back in December 2023 which turns out someone had their Ebay account hacke, had the phone sent to them and now has put in a chargeback with their bank, which is currently ongoing.

My question and I only ask this on here as so many different answers have come from Ebay reps, is how long can Ebay keep the £900 on hold.  The latest Ebay rep says that it is for a maximum of 8 weeks from when the dispute was raised which was the 15th January, so the £900 will be released back to me on 11th March at the latest if the bank have not made a decision.  Does anyone know if that is accurate as there is on-line info saying a chargeback could take 90 days? 

Cheers, Andy.

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

CHARGEBACK FUNDS ON HOLD - HOW LONG

I would believe what I read in Ebay's terms and conditions:

When you challenge the payment dispute, the final outcome will be decided by the buyer’s payment institution. The payment dispute could take up to 90 days or more to be resolved, depending on the payment method or card provider. eBay may hold the funds from payout up to 90 days from when the dispute arises.

What reason did the buyer have for the chargeback?  Was it 'did not recognize the transaction'?

Do you have evidence that the item was delivered to the address used to buy the item?

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: