Private Seller Fees Clarity Please

I just sold my first item and was charged 30p that I didn't expect. I read and re-read the fees pages (which would benefit from a simple case study calculation) before I listed but it wasn't a straight forward read with there being insertion fees, listing fees, final value fees, regulatory operating fees, and a promotional offer of 1000 free listing fees (which I think turns out to be 35p per listing).

Can someone confirm that I have now got this right please - 

10.67% Final Value Fee on the total sale price incl P&P

+ 0.35% Regulatory Operating Fee on the total sale price incl P&P

+ 0.25p Final Value Fee Fixed Order Amount

+ 20% VAT applied to all the above

= total fees which are charged at the point of sale. 

If the item does not sell and I give up and delete it, then none of the above are charged to me.

And if I went above the promotional 1000 free listings per month then I would be charged an extra 35p per listing at the point of listing (or is this at the point of sale?)

The only changes to the above are if I sell something in a special category like cars or trainers or if I choose to do a promotional thing or choose things like 2 categories, classifed ads etc.

I know I'm not talking huge amounts here and I don't have much to sell, but I want to make sure there are no surprises after I've sold something, especially as I have some electrical tools that I'm hoping to clear out which will probably be £70-£80. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

The fee breakdown is correct as you have detailed it.

If you listed more than 1000 items, the 35p fee would be charged at the time of listing and would be payable whether or not a sale is made.

However, if you are going to continue to list all brand new items, then you will have to look at changing to a business account.

Private accounts are for selling your own unwanted items.  A private account would not usually be listing all new Health & Beauty items.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Adding to the correct answer given if you add any of these optional listing upgrades,  they all come with a non refundable listing fee, charged the second the item goes live and payable sale or no sale.

Here is a list of the more common listing upgrades you can select.

A reserve will cost 4% of your set reserve.

Subtitles £2

Gallery Plus Photos £2.50

Listings in 2 categories 35p

1-3 day listing duration 35p

One tip when listing,  just before you click on the final List Item With Displayed Fees button glance just above , it should read List for Free.  If there is a fee there,  you have selected one of the above upgrades,  and you have time,  if you wish,  to scroll up and remove it.

Once sold,  there is then of course a seller fee to pay.  Unless it's clothing and qualifies for the latest no Final Value Fees on sales.

@wuffleboots 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you for your confirming the calculation is correct.

I hope I would not be considered a business seller if I start emptying the house of vintage ornaments, the numerous business leadership books that have been read once and put on the shelf never to be read again, the piles of LP's that haven't been touched in years, bags, briefcases, hats, scarves, shoes, dress jewellery, all from my work wardrobe (I recently retired). All of these items would be considered 'business' if you were a vintage reseller, a record- or 2nd hand book seller. How do you differentiate? 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you, very helpful clarification. I doubt very much that I have anything of enough value to consider choosing some of the more advanced promotional items above. If something doesn't sell then I will move on and rehome it elsewhere. 'List for Free' is a bit misleading really because it doesn't mean 'list for free', it means I'm not paying for anything on top of the 10.75% + 0.34% + 25p + 20% fees! 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

If you are genuinely selling your own pre-owned items, then you are not a business seller.  If you buy to sell and are trading, you need to have a business account. 

If you are planning to sell a lot (or, more than 30 items before the end of 2025) you should be aware that Ebay are obliged to pass your details to HMRC.

They would use their 'badges of trade' to decide if you were a private seller or trading.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent