Buyer returning an item with no returns accepted and saying that the item was fake

I sold a fragrance a month and a few days ago, but when I had it I was sure that it was real and he has sent a request for a return today saying that the item is "fake" and he has compared it to what he says and thinks is "real". In the listing, I already had the option that no returns were accepted. Do I still need to accept the return since eBay tends to side with the buyer or is there anyway that I can keep my money and decline the refund?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Buyer returning an item with no returns accepted and saying that the item was fake

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

if the buyer has opened a not as described case you have to accept, issue a prepaid returns label and refund when you get the item back.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

The seller only has 30 days from receipt to open a return, so they may be out of time.

If this is the case, then Ebay will eventually close the return in your favour,

However, you are not actually allowed to sell used perfumes on Ebay, even if you have only tried/sprayed them a few times, they are used.

Because you are not allowed to sell used perfumes, the only category you can choose is new/other which Ebay defines as 'New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects.'

So, any used perfume you sell, is wide open to a return case because you list it as unused when it is not.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

If you do not deal with this, then buyer could go to his payment provider, who could do a charge back, which might prove expensive for you. The 30 days starts from delivery, but even after 30 days, you can still refund with no penalty, bearing in mind that you sold something not allowed by ebay.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent