Buyer claims item no of value then Return damaged

Good afternoon What's the normal procedure for a buyer who made an offer on a listing paid & received good then 3 days later claims to eBay (buyer did not message me) he took items to jewellery shop who advised items were not of the value buyer paid same value I paid on eBay no profit made lost money due to postage I accepted a return as I felt the buyer was trying to keep the goods for free the items have returned damaged 3 of 4 lockets  have dents now I'm not entirely sure the buyer damaged them or maybe they were damaged in transit I don't want to jump the gun but any advice welcome thank you in advance 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

There was no reason for the buyer to damage the lockets.

If you could prove to Ebay (who will not see the items) that they were returned in a different condition, then you might be able to offer a slightly lower amount than the buyer paid.

In your position, I would refund the buyer then take advantage of the high gold price and sell them for scrap.

Losing money on postage when items are returned, is just one of the disadvantages of selling on the site.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

You are correct in that you have no way in knowingif the item was damaged in transit, and seeing the many tv programmes on the ' delicate' way some postal services / handle items,  it seems if you as a seller doesn't pack the item so well,  it can survive 90 minutes at Wembly,  then there's every chance of damage.

Bottom line is if they opened a case for item not as described you do have to accept and refund them.  You can try and appeal the case for the refund, however, if you are in doubt yourself that it could have been done in transit,  then it will be seen as the seller's fault,  for not making the package secure enough for travel. 

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent