Not happy - Principal more than the money side of it

I sold a £2.40 pair of Timberland sandals. I paid out £3.20 postage with royal mail, I got proof of postage.

The buyer says she hasn't received it so Ebay are saying because I haven't got tracking details (proof of postage is not enough) they are just refunding the buyer her money. 

To actually get it tracked costs over £7. Do Ebay seriously expect people to pay this when they're buying a £2 pair of sandals?   I'm actually out of pocket which seems unfair.  

They only suggest a signature is required with higher value items so its a lose lose situation for the seller.   

I can prove I've paid postage. It just seems so unfair that this sale has cost me.  

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

What do you think the alternative should be? 

Look at it from your buyer's point of view for a moment. They have paid you for a pair of sandals which they haven't received. Do you think this would be a positive experience for them, having no money and no shoes? Or wouldn't you expect them to want their money back?

Tell them to open a not received case and if you refund before they escalate you will get your selling fees refunded.

Sadly, if you cannot prove delivery to the buyer, eBay will refund them. 

Proof of posting is for your needs, to claim from Royal Mail should the item get lost in the post. 

If the item you sent was a small parcel (I assume a pair of sandals meets that criteria), it should have a 16-digit reference number on the proof of posting which can be entered into RM's website to show delivery. If so, ensure that that is entered to the case, 

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Your proof of postage should have a 16 digit number on that acts as delivery confirmation and  which is sufficient to fight a not received case.  All small parcels comes with this,  you don't have to pay for tracking.

What do you think a Proof of Postage is for then. It only proves you posted and if lost it can be used to support a claim on Royal Mail.

IF YOU bothered to look at your P o P  ALL PACKAGES have  a  16 digit tracking code.  USE it and if undelivered claim on RM.

This code should have been entered on ebay when you posted.

Ask a question