windows 8............ the worst OS ever?

I am by no means an expert, but this has to be the worst OS ever, I am so sick of zooming in/out when I dont want to, settings popping up all over the place, one year on from using this on my laptop, and its really really doing my head in.

I have added the windows 7 start bar etc to make it more like well.........windows seven... but I spend twice as much time un-clicking, just to browse....and dont get me even started on my other software. 

I am all with progress but this is the pits to use.

my mini rant over....... while I wait to be able to send my seller payment (another rant) although nothing to do with said OS 

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

I couldn't agree more, I HATE windows 8

I am getting used to it slowly, but I far prefer Windows 7

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

Is your PP playing up too?

Mine keeps logging me out because my computer is idle too long - no it isn't, it is sat waiting for PP to load up!

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

The problem is with Paypal apparently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

My new lappy had windows 8 and I hated it!!  My son in law changed it to windows 7 that I was used to.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

We took 8 off of ours too works much better on 7
Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

I too have a new laptop with Windows 8 and in the beginning did not have a clue how to get around with it.

My OH 'did something' (technical I'm not), so I can - access Ebay and the Internet and also recently, we worked out how to get my emails on it.

Other than that I touch nothing!  How do you get rid of it and back to Windows 7.  Probably too techie for us, lol.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

CG...... have dallied with reverting to windows 7........ but it could throw up more problems for my system.. I believe it was targeted more for the touch screen, I have no idea if its a great OS for those that use touch screen, 

I do not use a smart-phone, or a touch screen (me, my four boys, and missy) ......... been reading a little

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-feat...

have to wait and see how skipping to windows 10 pans out....... 

ive been using windows from its 3.0 and this (bar vista another awful upgrade from xp) is the worst for most non-touch systems

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

It's obvious rainy, like all computers, electricity and aeroplanes.........................it's MAGIC!!

There's no other possible explanation as far as I can see! Woman Frustrated

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

See?  It makes completely sane people like hightara speak a lot of gobbledegook and she thinks she's speaking in an orderly manner that we all will understand.

Sorry Kate.............I know nothing!!!  Woman LOL

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

has anyone on their laptop, actually used the zoom in/out using their fingers on the touch pad, or are you like me and have to (im using chrome atm) had to click on the search bar to reset to default on the right hand side of the search bar

Untitled.png

Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

Dear Kate, not a clue sweetheart - I am such a Luddite - I told you, I touch nothing, honestly.

I think you and I CG are on the same wavelength.  I gave it back to my hubby (it was a present) and said, don't want it.  My old one was to go to my brother and I refused to let it leave the house until he 'did something'.  I think he had some help - probably phoned a good friend John who can do MAGIC.

I also have an iPad, which I have never looked at - OH uses it.  He keps promising to show me how to use it.  I know I'm terrible.

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

oh carp............ 

cross posted, I said I wasnt an expert but do like to dabble, in the 3.0 years of microsoft when computers took up half of my living room (postage stamp size) I built systems at home or for family...... then life took over......kids etc..... over the years it was cheaper to buy than to build, then came my love of laptops three of the boys have one huge gaming system in their bedroom, built courtesy of a friend. and now I know nothing but the rudimentary methods of them. I know hardly anything about mobile phones, in fact only ever sent about five texts , which took me forever, two of which I deleted whilst trying to send
Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

I have never yet managed to reset the zoom using fingers on the touch pad. I always have to re-set it using the settings at the end of the search bar. It will SOMETIMES re-set using the keyboard shortcut, but not always.

Mind you, I have no idea what I am doing differently, but it hasn't been as bad for zooming in and out over the past week or so - perhaps I am just getting used to it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

I'm as good as you on a mobile phone Kate.  I've sent one or two texts, ok, no exagerating, could be as many as ....10 now!  Takes me an age, it's all in capitals and there's no punctuation at all.   I'm gonna try and ring somebody one day, when I figure out how!

We are of the same ilk rainy.  I have an iPad.  It's great.................................................for taking photos with.  I don't use it for anything else.

My five year old granddaughter might teach me a few moves on it one day!  Woman LOL

Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

I'm surprised Kate that you are confused by a mobile yet know so much about computers.  I can use my phone fine (Samsung thingy), quite new,

I knew the iPad had a camera CG but still insisted hubby buy me a new camera from Santa last year - don't trust whatI don't know Woman Tongue

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, Night night all, xxx.  Sleep well.

Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

my wee one knows more about windows 8 than I do..... I just ask her..when its getting on my nerves

Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

I'm as good as you on a mobile phone Kate.  I've sent one or two texts, ok, no exagerating, could be as many as ....10 now!  Takes me an age, it's all in capitals and there's no punctuation at all.   I'm gonna try and ring somebody one day, when I figure out how!

We are of the same ilk rainy.  I have an iPad.  It's great.................................................for taking photos with.  I don't use it for anything else.

My five year old granddaughter might teach me a few moves on it one day!  Woman LOL

Seriously CG - texts are MUCH easier on the new smartphones. I am not a text addict either, but they are a useful form of communication when I am in hospital. Even with "predictive" text I used to find composing a text really hard work, but on a smartphone you get a proper QWERTY kepad, and with one of those stylus pens, it really is quite easy. I would never have bought a smart phone, but son-in-law brought me a simple one free from work.

Like you, I dsilike the I-pad - apart from testing software that I have written, mine is used for video conversations with daughter and for grandson to read to me.

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

Many, many years ago when one programmed in Fortran, Cobol etc our Maths teacher was of the opinion that women should not programme computers because their minds were not logical and incapable of thinking in the tiny baby steps a computer required LOL.  Over the years I have decided that, in my case at least, he was right.  Now Sproglet is a whizz on a touchscreen and my computer has little sticky fingerprints all over because she just doesn't understand that Grandmas do not have rouchscreens unlike childminders who have ipads!LOL

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

my da brought down his laptop, so I could check an email he needed to see, took a while for it to sink in, that I didnt actually need the physical hard-ware.. 

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent